Cucumber curry made in andhra style with yellow cucumber, onions, tomatoes, spices & curry leaves. This simple & delicious dosakaya curry is an everyday dish made in Telugu speaking homes. It is eaten with plain rice & ghee or with chapati, roti, phulka.
So this recipe is a winner when you prefer to eat something light & healthy without having to toil much in the kitchen.
This cucumber curry also goes well with brown rice or even with plain cooked millets.
I haven’t yet shared many simple vegetable curry recipes that are really comforting and soothing to the tummy. So thought of sharing this.
If you are a newbie and learning to cook for your family then do try this simple curry for your meal. You can cook this in no time and tastes delicious as well.
I make this curry at least every fortnight. If serving this with roti then you don’t need any other side dish. This time I made moong dal & plan rice along with this curry.
Tips to make cucumber curry
Cucumber: This recipe needs yellow cucumber and not green cucumber that is used for salads. It is also known as curry cucumber in many places. The cucumber has to be firm and not ripe.
Tomatoes: Do not use unripe or sour tomatoes. Most times these cucumber is slightly sour. So using sour tomatoes will make a very tangy curry. Also adjust the amount of tomatoes depending on the cucumber.
Drumsticks: You can also add in vegetable drumsticks. First cook the drumsticks until tender in the onion tomato mixture adding little water (after step 7). Then add the cucumbers.
Boiled eggs: You can also add in a boiled egg towards the end. When the cucumbers are cooked al dente, add the boiled eggs and simmer both together.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2½ cups cucumber chopped to ½ inch pieces (1 medium sized)
- ¾ cup onions chopped finely (about 1 large)
- ⅓ cup tomatoes chopped & deseeded (1 medium)
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves fine chopped (optional)
- 1½ tablespoon oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin or jeera
- ½ teaspoon urad dal (optional)
- ½ teaspoon chana dal (optional)
- ⅓ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric or haldi
How to make the recipe
- Rinse the cucumber, onions, tomatoes and chilies.
- Peel the cucumber and remove the seeds. Chop them to ½ inch pieces and set aside.
- Fine chop onions, tomatoes and slit the green chilli.
How to make cucumber curry.
- Heat oil a pan or pot.
- When the oil turns hot add mustard, cumin, urad dal and chana dal.
- Fry until the dals turn golden, then add curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Next add in onions & green chili. Fry stirring often until transparent and they lose the raw flavor.
- Add in tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
- Fry until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Add red chilli powder and fry just until the raw smell goes away.
- Next stir in the cucumber pieces and fry for 2 mins.
- Cover and cook on a very low flame until cucumbers turn tender.
- Stir in between. I do not add water as the cucumber pieces will let out lot of moisture.
- But if they do not let out moisture pour very little water.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve cucumber curry with plain rice and ghee or roti.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.