Mushroom manchurian recipe – Popular Indo chinese manchurian using white button mushrooms. Indo Chinese foods are a favorite among many and this mushroom manchurian is very popular on the restaurant menus. To make this recipe, mushrooms are batter fried first until crisp and then added to manchurian sauce.
Most times I prefer not to fry mushrooms as they are a power house of nutrition and can be consumed in much better ways like stir frying or in curry etc.
But sometimes I get tempted to make these fried appetizers as they taste much better when made at home with good quality ingredients especially oil and sauces.
This mushroom manchurian just happened on a random evening and turned out great. I decided to make it again to share with you all.
This mushroom manchurian tastes best when served hot. If you do not have time to make some noodles or fried rice, then simply double the sauce in the recipe and add some cooked noodles or al dente rice.
You will end up with a good mushroom manchurian noodles or fried rice.
I have made this mushroom manchurian very much the same way other manchurian recipes are made. Here are some
Easy mushroom manchurian recipe
Mushroom manchurian recipe | How to make mushroom manchurian dry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 200 grams mushrooms (1 & ¼ cup sliced)
- 4 tablespoons plain flour ( or maida )(prefer organic flour)
- 3 tablespoons corn flour ( or corn starch)
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder (optional)
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed to make batter
- Oil for frying
Ingredients for making sauce
- 1 tablespoon oil olive or sesame oil
- ½ to ¾ tablespoon garlic (minced)
- ½ to ¾ tablespoon ginger (minced)
- ¼ cup spring onion whites, chopped
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum chopped / bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon corn flour or corn starch or arrowroot powder
- ½ cup water (you may need little more, use as needed)
- 1 ½ tablespoons soya sauce (use naturally brewed or organic)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon vinegar (optional, if needed)
- Salt as needed (use only if needed)
- 2 tablespoons Spring onion greens
How to make the recipe
Preparation for mushroom manchurian
- Add corn flour, maida, salt, pepper and chilli powder to a bowl.
- Pour water little by little to make a free flowing batter. The consistency has to be moderately thick, not too thick or too runny.
- Rinse the mushrooms and slice them.
- Add them to the batter and coat them well.
- Heat oil in a deep pan for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot enough, drop the mushroom slices one after the other to into it. Deep fry on a medium high heat.
- Stir often and fry until golden and crisp. Remove them to a kitchen tissue.
- Add 1 tsp corn flour to a bowl and pour half cup of water. Mix and make a lump free slurry. Keep this aside.
How to make mushroom manchurian
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a wide pan. Regulate the flame to high.
- Add ginger and garlic. Saute for a min.
- Add spring onion whites and fry for a min or two.
- Add capsicum and saute for another minute.
- Pour soya sauce and tomato sauce. Stir the corn flour slurry once and pour it to the pan.
- Stir well and cook to make a sauce. Add more water if required.
- Reduce the flame to medium and add sugar, little salt. Stir and check the taste of the sauce.
- Add pepper and vinegar if needed.
- Allow the sauce to turn thick. Turn off the flame. Allow to cool it a bit.
- Add the fried mushrooms and coat them well in the sauce
- Garnish with spring onion greens.
- Serve mushroom manchurian hot as a appetizer or with noodles or fried rice.
Video of mushroom manchurian
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Add cornflour, maida, salt, pepper and red chili powder to a mixing bowl.
2. Pour water just as needed and make a batter.
3. It must not be too thick nor too thin.
4. Rinse the mushrooms and slice them. Add them to the batter.
5. Mix well and coat them with batter.
6. Pour oil to a deep pan or kadai and heat it on a medium flame.
7. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small amount of batter to the hot oil. The batter must rise and not sink.
8. When the oil is hot enough drop the mushrooms one after the other.
9. Fry them on a medium high heat until crisp and golden.
10. Remove them to a kitchen tissue. Set this aside.
11. Make a slurry of the cornflour and water by mixing both in a small bowl. Set this aside.
How to make mushroom manchurian
12. Add 1 tbsp oil to a pan and heat it on a high flame. Add ginger and garlic. Fry for a minute without burning.
13. Add spring onions and fry for a minute.
14. Add capsicums and fry for 2 mins.
15. Pour soya sauce. Do use naturally brewed or organic soya sauce.
16. Add tomato sauce. You can use more or less than mentioned to suit your taste.
17. Pour the cornflour mixture. Mix well and boil on a medium heat.
18. Add sugar, salt and pepper. Check the taste if needed add vinegar to make it slight tang. If needed you can also add 2 to 3 tbsps more water to bring it to a consistency.
19. When the sauce turns thick, turn off the heat.
20. Allow it to cool down a bit for a minute or 2, then add the fried mushrooms.
Garnish mushroom manchurian with spring onions and serve hot.