Flax seeds podi or flax seeds chutney powder or spice powder. Flax seeds are considered to be one of the top health foods in the market today. These are called as avisa ginjalu in telugu, Agase in kannada , Jawas in marathi, and Alsi in hindi. These seeds are high in omega 3 fatty acids, fiber, alpha-linolenic acid and lignans.
They are said to protect human body from cancer and heart disease, reduce cholesterol and helps to manage type 2 diabetes and also in weight loss.
To get the optimum health benefits from flax seeds they must be ground or powdered and then used.
There are many ways to include flax seeds in our diet. Here are some of the ideas you may like which are tried and tested by me. Here goes my personal opinion.
Flax seeds are best to be used in dry preparations as they tend to turn sticky when added to any kind of foods with moisture. But there are a lot of people who use them for smoothies & bakes which didn’t go well for our taste buds.
How to use flax seeds in your diet
2. Make a spice powder like this vepudu karam. Just sprinkle over your every day stir fry curries or sabzi.
3. Add it to your Indian buttermilk or lassi, a common and easy way consumed in many households.
To make this flax seeds chutney powder, i use peanuts, roasted gram, cumin and garlic. Many do not like the sticky taste and feel of the flax seeds, but they can hardly be felt in this podi, since peanuts dominate the taste of flax seeds. This can be served even to kids, along with idli, dosa or upma.
If you do not prepare Indian breakfasts, then you can serve this with rice and few drops of ghee or just sprinkle over your vegetable stir fry dishes.
If you are looking for more Indian spice powders, check
spice powder for vegetable stir fry
biryani masala powder
punjabi garam masala powder
simple garam masala powder
pav bhaji masala powder
Flax seeds podi or flax seeds chutney powder
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup peanuts (substitute with fried gram, roasted gram)
- ¼ cup roasted gram (fried gram)
- ½ cup flax seeds (avisa ginjalu)
- 6 to 10 red chilies broken.
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 4 to 5 pods garlic
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp Oil as needed
How to make flax seeds podi
- Heat a heavy bottom pan and dry roast flax seeds lightly for about 4 to 5 mins on a medium flame. You can also skip this step. Transfer these to a plate to cool.
- To the same pan, add peanuts, roast till you get a nice aroma & golden. Switch off the stove.
- Next to the same hot pan, add roasted gram, garlic, and cumin. Toss till all of these heat up well. Keep these aside to cool.
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to the same pan. Fry broken red chilies till crispy without burning. Keep stirring often to fry them evenly.
- Next add cooled red chilies to a blender jar and make a fine powder.
- Add garlic, roasted gram, cumin, peanuts and flax seeds along with salt.
- Blend to a powder. Alternately, flax seeds can be powdered first along with red chilies and then the rest of the ingredients can be ground with them.
- Store flax seeds podi in a airtight glass jar. Keeps good for about a month.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes
How to make flax seeds chutney podi
1. Dry roast flax seeds lightly for 4 to 5 mins on a medium flame. Set aside to a plate to cool. I had these roasted a day before I made the podi, so don’t have a picture.
2. In the same pan, dry roast peanuts till golden & aromatic. Take care not to burn them. If you do not want to use peanuts, you can simply substitute the same amount of fried gram (roasted gram).
3. Off the stove, to the hot pan, add fried gram (roasted gram), cumin and garlic, mix for them to heat up. Set aside to cool. Transfer everything to a wide plate to cool
4. Add oil to the same pan. On a low flame, fry broken red chilies till crispy.
5. Once cool, add red chilies to a podi jar and powder it.
6. Add peanuts, cumin, garlic, roasted gram and then the flax seeds along with salt
7. Powder them. Do not blend till the podi turns hot, it will begin to ooze out oil and turns lumpy. If your mixer is not very powerful, then powder the flax seeds first to fine powder and then add the peanuts and the rest of the ingredients.
Store flax seeds podi in an air tight glass jar and refrigerate. Flax seeds powder keeps best if refrigerated