Beetroot stir fry recipe with moong dal – Simple, healthy and delicious beetroot fry with moong dal. This goes well with plain rice, chapati or roti. Beetroot is one of those veggies with very few options to use in Indian cooking. I usually make beetroot chutney, beetroot thoran, poriyal, paratha and sometimes even add them to smoothies or juice.
This beetroot stir fry will be loved by kids due to the addition of moong dal. This also goes well in lunch box with plain rice or chapati. I usually make this for dinner along with rasam and plain rice.
If you have a food processor you can use it to grate the beetroot. I have hand grated it. You can also make small cubes and use here. But it tastes good with the grated beets.
I will update the video and step by step photos shortly.
Beetroot fry recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 beetroot medium sized , grated or cubed very small
- ¼ cup moong dal / pesarapappu / skinned split mung bean (use more if desired)
- 1 tbsp ghee or oil
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¾ tsp cumin / Jeera
- 1 to 2 green chilies (slit and deseeded, use as needed)
- 1 red chili broken , optional
- 1 Pinch hing
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely optional
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¾ tbsp chana dal
- ¾ tbsp urad dal
- Salt as needed
- Turmeric as needed
- Wash moong dal until the water runs clear. Soak it enough water for about an hour, if possible 2 hours. Drain the water from dal completely.
- Heat a pan with ghee or oil.
- Add mustard, cumin, chana dal, urad dal and chili. Saute until the dals turn golden.
- Add hing and then beetroot, soaked dal and turmeric.
- Stir and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Cover and cook on a low heat until the dal turns soft.
- Add salt and stir.
- Turn off the stove once the dal is cooked completely.
- You can add some coriander leaves if desired.
- Serve beetroot stir fry with plain rice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes