Beetroot kosambari – kosambari is a salad that is a part of the meal in Karnataka and Maharashtra. It is prepared with soaked moong dal, coconut, coriander leaves and raw veggies like carrot, radish and or cucumber. It is also tempered with mustard, cumin and hing. It is also made during Sri Ram Navami for naivedhyam but without the use of beets.
This Indian style beetroot salad will be liked by most since soaked lentils and fresh coconut add great taste. Raw food lovers will surely like this. I have not tempered it, you can temper using 1 tsp oil or ghee, curry leaves, mustard and cumin.
While eating beetroot regularly can be good for people with anemia. This is one of the healthiest ways to consume beets, since they are consumed raw.
Kosambari helps to digest a meal better, hence it is served along with a meal. You can serve this as a side to roti or even with curd rice. During summers it is one of the best refreshing beetroot salad.
To make kosambari fine grating taste good, but I grated in a food processor hence have large grating.
Beetroot kosambari recipe | Beetroot salad recipe (Indian style)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup beetroot , grated , (can increase or decrease to suit your taste)
- ½ cup moong dal / pesara pappu / greem gram split and skinned
- ¼ cup coconut , fresh grated
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped or minced
- Lemon juice as desired
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves finely chopped
- veggies , as desired, Optional
- carrot , Grated
- radish , Grated , (soaked in vinegar for some time)
- cucumber , Grated
- onions , Chopped
How to make the recipe
- Wash moong dal thoroughly 3 to 4 times and soak for at least 1 hour. Wash thoroughly and drain off the water completely.
- Grate coconut, beetroot and other desired veggies. Chop coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients and serve kosambari or beetroot salad.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.