Broccoli pasta recipe – Healthy, simple and tasty broccoli pesto pasta made without cheese. This is super quick to make for dinner and does not need a accompaniment. You can also make the broccoli pesto ahead and refrigerate it. Cook the pasta and just toss with the pesto.
The broccoli pesto is mildly hot due to the addition of green chili. It has a nutty taste & aroma that comes from the roasted peanuts. You can replace the peanuts with any other nuts of your choice. But broccoli and roasted peanuts make a great combo.
My boys love this pasta for their dinner with fried eggs. This time when I made it I took the pictures.
You can also have this with Tomato soup, Sweet corn soup or chicken soup.
1. Bring about 8 to 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Then put in 2 servings of pasta and salt. Cook al dente following the timings on the pack. Drain to a a colander. Pour 1 tsp oil and toss it.
2. While you cook the pasta, go ahead making the pesto. In a pan, heat 1 tsp oil and roast the peanuts until golden.
3. Set these aside to cool.
4. Next in the same pan, saute broccoli for 2 to 3 mins. First I cleaned the broccoli florets and kept them in warm water for 2 mins. Drained and rinsed well under running water. Then used it here.
5. Sprinkle salt and toss.
6. Cook covered until tender.
7. Cool these as well. Set aside a few florets for garnish.
8. Next transfer the peanuts & broccoli to a blender jar or a food processor or a chopper.
9. Then put in the garlic, chili, salt, mint and coriander leaves.
10. Pour oil.
11. Process it to a coarse mixture.
12. Then squeeze in the lemon juice. Give a good mix. Store it in a air tight glass jar and refrigerate. Use up within 3 weeks.
How to make broccoli pasta
13. Transfer the pasta to the pan. Add in pesto as needed.
14. Toss well. Add in more pesto if desired. Garnish with broccoli florets.
Serve broccoli pasta.
Broccoli pasta recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 200 grams spaghetti (2 servings)
- 2½ cups broccoli florets
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 green chili or ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt as needed
- 3 tbsp olive oil (use more as desired)
- ½ cup mint or pudina
- ½ cup coriander leaves or cilantro or (basil)
- 3 to 4 tbsp peanuts
- 1 to 2 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
- Bring 10 cups of water to a boil. Then add salt.
- Add in the spaghetti and cook until al dente. Please follow the instructions on the pack for timing.
- Drain to a colander. Smear 1 tsp oil over the pasta. Set this aside.
Making broccoli pesto
- While the pasta cooks, roast peanuts in tsp oil until golden in a pan. Set the, aside to cool.
- In the same pan, saute the broccoli for 2 to 3 mins.
- Sprinkle salt and cook covered until tender. Broccoli doesn’t need to be cooked for long.
- Cool them completely. Set aside some broccoli florets for garnishing.
- Next transfer the peanuts, broccoli, chilli, salt, garlic, oil, mint and cilantro.
- Process it until it turns to a uniform coarse pesto.
- Squeeze in the lemon juice and add more salt if needed. Store this in a airtight jar and use up within 3 weeks.
How to make broccoli pasta
- Add the drained pasta to a bowl.
- Next put in a generous amount of pesto as desired and toss.
- Garnish with broccoli that was set aside. If the broccoli pasta is too dry, then drizzle some oil.
- Serve broccoli pasta.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes