Red sauce pasta
Red sauce pasta recipe – Healthy & delicious kids’ friendly pasta that can be made for after school meal or dinner. Red sauce pasta is a dish made with pasta, tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, garlic & herbs. This is one of the best pasta recipes you can make at home & I am sure your family will love it.
Red sauce pasta can be served for a meal with
This is an easy idea to include tomatoes and red bell pepper in kids’ diet. Red sauce pasta recipe is generally made using only tomatoes. Mostly canned tomatoes or tomato paste/ puree is used to get the bright color.
Making this red sauce pasta recipe entirely using only tomatoes will make it very tangy. So you can use either onions or bell peppers to balance the tang from tomatoes.
If you are looking for ideas to include bell pepper in your diet, then surely this is a must try. On occasions I also make this with chicken and shrimps. It tastes great that way too. I have mentioned the details in the notes below.
The unique taste and flavor comes from roasting the tomatoes & bell pepper before blending. They can be oven roasted or sauteed in the pan just like the way I have done in this post.
Do not skip this step as it makes red sauce pasta more flavorful and delicious.
More Pasta recipes,
White sauce pasta
The red sauce I have made for this pasta recipe uses red bell pepper along with tomatoes. But can be substituted with onions.
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil. Saute bell peppers or onions on a high flame just for 2 mins. You can also skip bell peppers and use onion. The taste would be different but good. Set them aside to cool.
2. To the same pan, add ripe tomatoes and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
3. Tomatoes must turn soft. Add red chili flakes as needed. Set this aside to cool.
4. When cooled, add them to a blender jar.
5. Blend to a smooth or coarse paste. We prefer smooth. Set this aside.
6. While you make the sauce, you can bring 2 liters water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt as needed.
7. When the water comes to a boil, add pasta. Cook al dente following the instructions on the pack.
8. Drain off in a colander and rinse to remove extra starch.
How to make red sauce pasta
9. Put back the same pan on the stove with another 1 tbsp oil. When hot saute garlic and red chili flakes until they turn fragrant.
10. Add chopped onions.
11. Saute until the raw smell goes away.
12. Add the puree and salt. Mix and cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens.
13. This is the consistency i prefer, you can even take off a little earlier. Add oregano. Mix well. Off the stove.
14. Add the cooked pasta. I prefer another tbsp olive oil now. This is optional.
15. Saute until well combined.
Add crushed pepper. Serve pasta in red sauce hot.
Red sauce pasta
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups pasta (any)
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil (or any)
- salt as needed
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp onions finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes ripe red chopped
- 1 ¼ cup red bell peppers or red capsicum or ½ to ¾ cup onions
- ½ to 1 tsp red chili flakes (adjust as needed)
- ½ to 1 tsp oregano or mixed herbs
- pepper freshly crushed for garnish
- Roast onions or bell peppers in 1 tbsp oil for 3 mins on a high flame. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Roast tomatoes until mushy for about 3 mins. Cool this as well.
- Blend them together to a puree. Set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cook pasta with salt until al dente (just cooked).
- Drain off and rinse them. Drain in a colander. Set aside.
How to make red sauce pasta
- Heat the same pan with more oil and fry garlic and chili flakes until aromatic.
- Add onions and saute until golden.
- Pour the puree and add salt.
- Mix well and cook until it reaches a desired consistency. Make sure the sauce is not watery. Taste the sauce and adjust salt as needed. Add oregano.
- Off the stove and add the pasta. Toss well until mixed.
- Garnish with herbs. Serve hot pasta in red sauce.
- If using prawns: You can add about 125 to 150 grams of fresh cleaned tiger prawns after sauteing garlic, onions. Saute until they get cooked. They swirl completely when done. Set them aside without removing onions or garlic. Add them back to the pan along with cooked pasta.
- If using chicken: Cook 150 grams of boneless chicken separately until tender, shred and then add it after sauteing garlic, onions.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
I love your recipes
Thank you so much Gomathi
It’s awesome ! I was scared it was gonna be too spicy for baby boy so I didn’t add red pepper flakes in the end as suggested! Overall I would add less pepper flakes but super simply and quick to make I love !
Thank you so much…. Brilliant and taste is superb
Glad you like it. Thank you
I came out reaaaaallly well! I loved it! It has everything. Spicy tangy.. Perfect balance!
Glad to know Riddhi
Tastes so good! I made this with meatballs and gave a portion to my Italian friend too. She loved it 😀
Thank you for sharing this recipe.
This was a very nice recipe and I shared this with my friends and they all loved it too.. 🙂 totally making this again lol
So glad to know!
Thank you Zaira
Hi I love your recipes but this one is not tasting so great seems red capsicum quantity is a lot. Or is it my mistake.
Had once used a small quantity of green capsicums it tasted great
What is your suggestion ?
Thank you! It’s not the quantity but may be the quality of bell pepper. Sometimes bell peppers taste bitter especially if they have been harvested long time ago. May be next time cut down the quantity to check if that works. Yes green tastes good too but the color won’t be good. I will try to update the exact quantity in grams so you won’t go wrong next time. Thank you
Thankyou so much for the recipe. I tried it with chicken (as per the instructions given) 😊and it was amazing..👌
Glad to know Divya
I have made this recipe several times and it always turns out best. My kids truly love it. Thanks for such wonderful recipe.
Glad your kids love it!
oh u made me wanna try this recipe …thanks 🙂
I have followed the recipe exactly except using green chillies instead of red chilli flakes.The taste was amazing.Everyone njoyed the pasta.
Glad to know !
Is this sauce be good to store in the refrigerator? If so, how long?
It keeps good for 2 days in the fridge
Love your recipes! Can I add Spinach/Palak in this Red Sauce Pasta? If yes, when should I add it?
Thank you! First saute it separately. Keep it aside and then add it with the pasta to the sauce.
Tried it for dinner last night, it was yumm. The tip that you shared about roasting onions/pepper and tomatoes really lifted the flavors.
Glad to know Deepali
I love it ?
I love this recipe a lot! Made it like 20 times already 🙂
Very nice recipe I love the way you organise everything. It makes cooking easy. Please do more vegetarian international recipes. Thank you.
Thank you! Yes sure
Please advise me, what can I use instead of oregano?
And can I use mustard oil or sunflower oil?
Any dried herbs like basil, thyme or a mix of all these will work. Not mustard oil. Use sunflower.
Can I just skip the dried herbs?
yes skip them and add lots of black pepper. You can also try using very finely chopped coriander leaves.
Thank you very much.
Going to try
Tried and it’s ?
Thank you Ishita
It’s lovely recipe. I also tried the recipe by adding little ketchup and pepper to it. It is mind blowing
Glad to know Prachi
I tried your recipe and i just fell in love with pasta! Really appreciable work mam!
Glad to know you loved it
No-fail recipes time and again! A huge thanks to your recipes!!
Please advise, Can red bell pepper be replaced by green capsicum to make pasta sauce
No not green capsicum. It will change the color and not sure how it tastes. You can use onions instead.
Thank you so much Swasthi
Can I boiled some white chickpea grind it and mix with sauce. Also what other veggies can be added to make it healthier.
I haven’t tried it the way you said. Sounds good but. You can add carrots, peas, broccoli, sweet corn, spinach. Pls add only the veggies you like