Chicken pasta recipe – A basic spaghetti recipe made with fresh tomatoes and chicken. This is quick to make for a meal on a busy day as it doesn’t take much time. Veggies, protein and grain all go in one dish making it a healthy and wholesome one without much effort.
This can be served with a hot soup and some bread toast. We served with this chicken soup and veg cheese toast. You can also have it with Mushroom soup or Sweet corn soup, Cheese garlic toast or this quick French toast.
Preparation for chicken pasta recipe
1. Bring 10 cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add salt and 1 tsp of oil. Add spaghetti and cook as per the instructions on the pack. I used organic durum wheat spaghetti.
2. They must be cooked al dente. Drain them in a colander and rinse them well. I prefer to smear about 1 tsp of olive oil over the pasta to keep them non sticky.
3. Heat oil in a pan and saute garlic until it smells good.
4. Add chicken shredded or cubed and then sprinkle salt. I had brined the chicken in vinegar for about 2 hours. If you have brined yours in salted solution, then skip adding salt to the pan here.
Cooking chicken for pasta recipe
5. Saute on a medium heat until completely cooked. Add spice powder and pepper. I used all spice. Saute on high heat just for a min or 2.
6. Set the chicken aside. Add little more oil to the pan. Saute garlic until aromatic. Then add onions.
7. Saute until the onions turn golden.
8. Add the pureed tomatoes. (deseeded)
9. Cook until the sauce thickens. It does take some time to thicken. I over cooked the sauce here, was having fun with the kids and forgot about this. Time to add the chicken, chilli flakes, coarsely crushed pepper and oregano. To make chilli flakes, I just pulsed few crisp red chillis (non spicy kind) in a mini blender.
How to make chicken pasta
10. Add 2 tbsps of water or pasta cooked starchy water. And cook till it reaches a saucy consistency as shown in the picture.
11. Add cooked pasta.
12. Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Off the heat. At this stage if your chicken pasta looks dry, add little more olive oil.
Serve hot or warm with a bowl of soup.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 160 grams pasta or spaghetti
- 150 to 200 grams Chicken shredded or cubed as desired
- 2 to 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves about 1 tbsp very finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 350 grams tomatoes ripe red or 1 ½ cup deseeded chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- ½ to ¾ tsp pepper coarsely crushed
- 2 to 3 pinches All spice powder or any other spice powder if desired
- Salt as needed
- ½ tsp Herbs as desired
Preparation for chicken pasta
- Bring water to a rapid boil in a large pot. Add salt and oil. Add pasta and cook al dente or just follow the instructions on the pack. Set aside some pasta cooked water. Drain off in a colander.
- Saute garlic in hot oil and add chicken. Add some salt and toss until well cooked.
- Add spice powders. Saute on a high heat for 2 mins. Set the chicken aside.
How to make chicken pasta
- Add more oil and saute some garlic. Then add onions. Saute until the onions turn golden.
- Add pureed tomatoes and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Add sauted chicken and 2 to 3 tbsps of pasta cooked water. Mix and cook until the sauce reaches a thick consistency
- Add pasta and cook for just 2 to 3 mins. Add more olive oil if it looks dry.
- Serve chicken pasta hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes