Aloo capsicum recipe – Easy stir fried dish made with potatoes, capsicum, spices & herbs. This dry aloo capsicum curry is a super easy & quick recipe for beginners. Aloo and capsicum pair so well in any dish and this is one of them. This aloo capsicum goes very well with plain rice, roti, chapati or even as a filling in sandwiches & kathi rolls.
This simple yet flavorful & delicious aloo capsicum is a life saver for me most times in dealing with my fussy kids. I always wonder how often I make this for their school box or some times even for their breakfast to eat with their paratha or dosa.
It is very simple to make and one can easily plus or minus the ingredients i have mentioned below. It is a dry curry or sabzi, if you like to have a moist curry just pour very little water to cook.
I also make this aloo capsicum differently each time by adding a variety of veggies. Cauliflower, peas, broccoli or even beans go very well in this. Even a few chunks of paneer, firm tofu too go well. Get creative and just throw in what ever you like.
If you have fussy kids, just skip the onions. I have not used tomatoes in the recipe as they hinder the potatoes from getting cooked quickly.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ teaspoons oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 large onion chopped or sliced
- ½ teaspoon ginger minced or ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chilli chopped or slit (skip for kids)
- 2 large potatoes (aloo) cubed to ¾ inch pieces
- ½ cup capsicum (bell peppers) chopped
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ teaspoon amchur powder optional
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- Salt as needed
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
How to make the recipe
- Wash and peel potatoes. Cube them to ¾ inch size and keep them immersed in a bowl of water.
- Add oil to a hot pan. When the oil turns hot add cumin seeds & fry them till they begin to splutter. Next add in onions and green chilies. Fry until transparent stirring often.
- Then add ginger and fry till a nice smell begins to come out. Drain the water from potatoes and add them to the pan. Saute for 2 minutes. Cook covered on a low to medium heat until fork tender or soft. If needed sprinkle little water while cooking.
- Lastly add capsicum, kasuri methi, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and then salt as needed. Stir well and fry until the capsicum is done yet crunchy.
- Adjust salt and chilli powder if needed. Serve aloo capsicum with rice, bread or roti. Sprinkle some lemon juice if you desire.
Step by step photos on aloo capsicum recipe
1. Wash peel and chop potatoes. Add them to a bowl of salted water till we use. Fry cumin in hot for a minute and then saute onions till transparent. Add ginger and fry till it smells good.
2. Add chopped potatoes. They will be with dripping water, just add them. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Cover and cook on a low flame till almost cooked.
4. Add bell peppers, turmeric, salt, red chili powder, garam masala, amchur and kasuri methi.
5. Stir every thing well and fry till the bell peppers get cooked. If you desire a more moist curry, just add a few tbsps of water and cook for a while.
Serve with rice, bread or roti.
Related quick recipe : aloo methi