Chicken spring rolls recipe – Making these tasty chicken spring rolls at home is super quick and easy. My kids love these Vegetable spring rolls and keep asking me often. I made these chicken spring rolls sometime ago and these became our new family favorite. These are great to enjoy for a Snack or along with Noodles for a meal.
I have used store bought spring roll sheets so making these was a breeze. This recipe is roughly adapted from my vegetable spring rolls. This is just with an addition of chicken and Chinese five spice powder. You can also skip the spice powder or replace with any of your favorite spice mix.
Soya sauce lends a delicate flavor to the chicken. While pepper adds mild heat to the stuffing. So skipping the spice powders is just fine. I have used a chopped chicken fillet here, you can use any including the mince.
The recipe can be double or tripled easily but use a large wider pan to prevent the filling from turning mushy.
For best results fry these chicken spring rolls immediately after rolling. You can serve them with a sauce of your choice. We enjoyed them with this Schezwan sauce.
Preparing the filling for chicken spring rolls
1. Firstly, pour 1 tbsp oil to a wok or pan and heat it.
2. Add chicken and saute for 2 to 3 mins until it turns white in color. Then sprinkle salt and mix.
3. Cook and cover on a low to medium heat until tender. Transfer this to a plate and set aside.
4. To the same pan, add another tbsp oil. Fry the garlic for 1 min.
5. Next transfer cabbage, capsicum and carrots. You can also add in spring onions. Saute on the highest flame for 2 to 3 mins stirring often.
6. Add the chicken.
7. Pour soya sauce.
8. Sprinkle pepper and spice powder.
9. Saute on the highest flame for 2 to 3 mins or until the moisture evaporates. Cool this completely.
How to make chicken spring rolls
10. Prepare a mixture of corn flour and water in a bowl. The mixture has to be runny and not thick. You can also use plain water to stick the rolls but not sure if it works with every brand of sheets.
11. Bring the spring roll sheets to room temperature. Place a sheet on the work board. As shown in the picture, place 2 tbsp of filling.
12. Begin to roll removing the air pockets. Please watch the video for details.
13. Bring the sides to the center.
14. Roll it again and spread the corn flour mixture to the edges you want to close.
15. Roll it tightly and seal up.
16. Make all the rolls and keep them covered to prevent drying.
17. Heat the oil until hot enough. If the oil is not hot enough the chicken spring rolls will absorb lot of oil. Drop them gently when the oil is hot.
18. Fry them until crisp. Some sheets don’t give a golden color, so you can ignore the color but they must be crisp. Drain them on to a kitchen tissue.
Serve chicken spring rolls with any sauce.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
For the stuffing
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 3 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 medium carrot julienned
- ½ cup bell peppers sliced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 250 grams chicken boneless thin strips
- ½ tsp pepper coarse crushed
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder or any masala
- salt as needed
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
For the chicken spring rolls
- 8 spring roll sheets
- oil as needed for frying
- 1 tsp corn flour or corn starch
- 3 tbsp water
Make filling for chicken spring rolls
- Pour 1 tbsp oil to a pan. Saute chicken until pale in color for 2 to 3 mins.
- Sprinkle salt as needed.
- Cover the pan and cook until fully done. Set this aside.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil. Next fry the garlic just for 1 min.
- Add cabbage, carrots and bell pepper. Fry on the highest flame for 2 to 3 mins. Do not overcook. Veggies have to be crunchy.
- Add the chicken. Next pour soya sauce.
- Sprinkle pepper and spice powder too. Saute just for another minute.
- Cool the stuffing. There should not be excess moisture in the stuffing. You can check the salt and add more if needed.
- Next mix together corn flour and water to make a thin mixture. You can also use plain water to dampen the edges of the sheets for sealing.
How to make chicken spring rolls
- Keep the spring rolls sheets at room temperature for about 30 to 40 mins. If they are stuck to each other, then you can place a damp cloth over them. They will come off easily.
- Spread 1 spring roll sheet. Place 2 tbsp of chicken stuffing.
- Next cover the filling with one edge. Roll it till the center. Bring the 2 sides over to the center.
- Roll again. Next brush the prepared corn starch over the edges. You can also just apply water to the edges.
- Roll up and make sure the edges are well sealed.
- Repeat making all of them.
- Keep them covered until you fry.
Frying chicken spring rolls
- Heat oil in a pan for deep frying.
- When the oil is hot, drop the spring rolls to the oil and fry on a medium heat until crisp. You may not get them golden always since it depends on the brand of sheets used.
- Drain them to a kitchen tissue
- Serve chicken spring rolls hot with ketchup or schezwan sauce.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes