Chikki recipe – Learn to make peanut chikki with video & easy step by step photos. Chikki is a traditional Indian sweet candy made with jaggery and peanuts or sesame seeds. It is one of the most loved sweet snack across India. Like most kids, mine too love peanut chikki.
During our every visit to India either my mom or MIL makes these as my kids love them. I tried many times here in Singapore and failed to get them right due to the wrong choice of jaggery.
Finally after a few trials I figured out that not all kinds of jaggery is suitable to make chikki. To make perfect peanut chikki, jaggery is the key ingredient.
How to choose jaggery for chikki
Premium quality jaggery like organic ball jaggery or unrefined jaggery are not suitable to make chikki as they turn stringy even after reaching the hard ball consistency. Even organic jaggery powder did not work for me.
Most often export quality jaggery has lesser additives & is lesser processed to conform & pass the quality tests. So If you are living abroad & trying to make with locally bought jaggery then you may or may not succeed in making good chikki. The results may vary with every batch of jaggery you buy. I had lot of readers asking me about why the chikki turns stringy even after reaching the hard ball consistency so I am sharing the details.
To make perfect chikki, choose normal jaggery. Avoid the premium quality ones labelled like – organic, unrefined, pure jaggery, no added chemicals, evaporated sugarcane juice powder etc. If you are unable to find the normal one, then just replace 6 tbsps of jaggery with 4 tbsps refined sugar in the recipe.
Peanut chikki recipe
Chikki recipe | How to make chikki | Peanut chikki or groundnut chikki
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients to make chikki
- 1 cup peanuts – level the cup
- 140 to 150 grams jaggery (¾ cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
Preparation for peanut chikki
- Roast peanuts on a medium to low flame stirring often until deep golden and aromatic. To check remove the skin and look for golden color on the nut. This deep roasting brings out a nutty aroma from peanuts.
- Cool and deskin them. To remove the skin easily, wrap in a clean cloth. Take a cup and gently rub the nuts with the base of the cup. It is easy to separate the nuts from the skin.
- Transfer them to a plate and crush them randomly with the base of the cup for 2 to 3 mins. This will crush the peanuts a bit and bring out the nutty aroma of the peanuts. Keep this aside.
- Grease a steel plate with little ghee. Set this aside.
- Next grease a rolling pin or the base of a cup to level the hot chikki mixture.
- Keep a small bowl half filled with water ready to check the consistency of jaggery syrup.
How to make chikki
- Grate the jaggery and add to a heavy bottom pan. Pour just 1 tbsp water.
- Begin to dissolve on a low flame. When it dissolves completely, if you find some impurities, then pass it through a coffee filter. If needed you can also pour 1 more tbsp water.
- Add ghee and mix.
- Boil the jaggery syrup until it reaches a hard ball brittle consistency. To know the exact stage please refer to the pictures in the step by step section below.
- Lower the flame completely. To check hard ball brittle consistency, drop little jaggery syrup to the bowl of water. It must become hard immediately.
- Remove and break it. The jaggery piece must break to pieces without getting stringy. The broken pieces must be like candy or brittle and not soft. This is the right consistency. If you cook past this stage you will have broken pieces of chikki or burnt jaggery. So turn off.
- Add the peanuts and mix well.
- Quickly pour this to the steel plate. With the help of a spatula, shape to a rectangle. Roll the mixture with the rolling pin evenly. Within a minute it will set. so you must be fast. Cut to pieces, when it is still slightly hot.
- Cool completely and break the peanut chikki to pieces. Store in a air tight jar.
Video of peanut chikki recipe
Preparation for chikki recipe
1. Dry roast peanuts on a medium to low heat stirring often.
2. When they are half done, the skin begins to come off. Continue to roast until the peanut turns slightly golden. Remove the skin and check. Not only the peanut skin even the nut has to turn slightly golden to bring out the aroma of peanuts.
3. Cool them completely. Begin to remove the skin by crushing the nuts gently with the base of a cup. You can also transfer the nuts to a cloth and cover. Then crush the nuts gently just to loosen the skin.
4. Separate the skin from the peanuts.
5. This is an optional step but we do it just to bring out the nutty aroma of peanuts. Gently crush the peanuts with the base of a cup for 1 to 2 mins. You can also pulse 2 tbsps of peanuts in mixer and use. Set the peanuts aside.
6. Grease a plate, knife and rolling pin. You can also grease the base of a steel cup and use. Pour 1 cup water to a bowl and keep it handy for checking the jaggery syrup consistency.
Making jaggery syrup for chikki recipe
7. Add grated jaggery to a heavy bottom pot or pan.
8. Pour 1 tbsp water.
9. Begin to dissolve on a low to medium heat.
10. When it is completely dissolved, add 1 tsp ghee. If you find any impurities in jaggery, you can filter it at this stage.
11. Begin to boil on a medium to low heat, stirring constantly until the syrup bubbles well and thickens slightly.
12. Keep checking the syrup consistency. To check, drop a few drops of jaggery syrup to the water.
13. The first stage will be soft ball consistency. This is not the consistency we need for chikki recipe. Add back the jaggery ball to the pan. So continue to cook beyond this stage.
14. After a while, repeat checking by dropping the jaggery syrup again.
Consistency of jaggery syrup for chikki recipe
15. In between the soft ball stage and the hard ball stage you will come across this stage. It is not soft nor like a brittle.
16. When you try to break it turns stringy and then breaks. This is not the consistency we are looking for.
17. Lower the flame completely and be alert as it is coming to an end stage. Continue to stir and cook for a little while. Not too long, check again by dropping the syrup. When it reaches the right consistency, jaggery syrup will harden immediately when dropped to cold water and forms a brittle.
18. Remove it and break. It must be like a brittle or candy and should not be stringy. If you are unable to get this brittle then try cooking further for few seconds. If you fail to get this brittle, just use up the syrup for something else. This will not give you good chikki.
How to make chikki
19. Turn off and remove from fire. Mix in the peanuts.
20. Be quick and stir in the peanuts well with jaggery syrup.
21. Immediately transfer to the plate. Quickly I shaped it to a rectangle with spatula. Roll with the rolling pin to level the top. You can roll it as thin as possible. You can also use a greased cup to level the top.
22. Make marks when it is hot. Cut them while still warm.
Cool completely and store peanut chikki in air tight jar.