Chocolate shake recipe – Delicious, thick and creamy chocolate milkshake recipe using cocoa powder. Chocolate shake is loved by most kids and mine are no different. I make chocolate milkshake for my kids only a few times in a month as their after school drink. There are days when I am unable to make any snack or fruit juice for the kids after their school, I end up making milkshakes as they are quick to make.
This is not a cafe style shake, but a simple home style chocolate milkshake that you can make for your kids sometimes. I do not use Ice cream in any of the milkshakes, however you can also add a scoop of eggless ice cream to the blender jar before you blend it or while serving it. Since I used milk ice cubes to make this chocolate milkshake thick and frothy, there is no need to add ice cream.
I usually boil the full fat milk, cool and add them to small 90 ml steel cups, cover and freeze them. Demould the milk ice cubes as needed and use them to make chocolate milkshake, dry fruits milkshake and coffee shake. I mostly use organic sugar, maple syrup or coconut palm sugar / jaggery to sweeten most of these.
I have used 1 tbsp of cocoa powder to make 1 large serving of this cocoa shake. Do reduce it if making for kids as too much cocoa is not good. One tbsp of cocoa powder contains about 12 mg of caffeine, so it is good to use cocoa powder in moderation. I also use real cinnamon powder as it prevents the kids from getting cold from cold beverages.
Do use good quality cocoa powder and not one that is low fat as it really doesn’t yield thick and creamy chocolate milkshake.
Chocolate shake recipe
Chocolate shake recipe | Chocolate milkshake recipe | Cold chocolate milk
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for chocolate shake
- 200 to 250 ml milk full fat & chilled
- 5 to 6 ice cubes or milk ice cubes
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp sugar Organic (can replace with coconut jaggery/ sugar or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (I used organic cocoa)
- 1 tbsp Grated chocolate or ice cream or whipping cream for garnish
- ½ tsp pure cinnamon (avoid cassia) (optional)
- 1 tbsp chocolate syrup for decorating the glass (optional)
How to make the recipe
How to make chocolate milkshake
- Add sugar and cocoa powder to a blender jar along with milk. Blend it until cocoa dissolves completely.
- Add milk ice cubes, cinnamon if desired and blend well again until frothy.
If you wish to decorate your glass, then melt some chocolate and pour it on the sides of the glass from inside. You can also use some thick chocolate syrup.
Pour chocolate milkshake to a serving glass and garnish with grated chocolate or ice cream or whipped cream.
- Serve chocolate shake immediately as the flavor of cocoa changes as time passes by.
Video of chocolate shake recipe