Oreo Milkshake Recipe (3 Flavors)
Make easy Oreo Milkshake in 3 exciting flavors. You don’t need to find an ice cream shop or a café to make café style milkshake. Making a creamy, delicious & thick Oreo Shake at home just takes you 5 mins. In this post I share 3 recipes to whip up your Oreo Milkshake with & without a blender, with and without an ice cream. But you do need oreo cookies and milk.
About Oreo Milkshake
In the early 1910s, two important inventions came along that allowed for the invention of the Oreo milkshake. The Hamilton Beach Drink Mixer in 1911 and the Oreo, introduced by Nabisco as a crème-filled chocolate sandwich cookie in 1912.
The Oreo quickly became one of the most popular cookies in the United States and worldwide, remains a top seller to this day. The Drink Mixer became a fixture at soda fountains, where it and similar machines helped blend drinks for customers.
Skipping forward to 1922, a man named Ivan “Pop” Coulson decided to improve the milky chocolate malt drink sold at the Walgreens soda fountain by adding a few scoops of ice cream on a hot day. The modern Chocolate Milkshake was born.
At some point someone had the brilliant idea to take the beloved mixed milkshake and add some crumbled Oreos.
In hindsight, it’s a combination that totally makes sense.
On the one hand, you have a deeply dark chocolate cookie that gives the milkshake an enticing bitter sweetness. On the other hand, you have cool, creamy vanilla ice cream that cuts the intensity of the chocolate and is reminiscent of the creme filling of an Oreo.
It’s basically an Oreo in milkshake form. Now with the advent of modern blenders, you don’t have to trek to a soda fountain or ice cream shop to get a taste of such a perfect pairing. You can make your own Oreo milkshake at home! It’s easier than you think and you can customize it to your heart’s content.
In this post I share the Oreo Milkshake, Double Chocolate Oreo Shake & No Ice cream Oreo shake.
More Related recipes you may like
Ingredients You Need
Even if you don’t drink Oreo milkshakes all that often, you should be having all the ingredients ready in your pantry. Only three ingredients are required: milk, ice cream, and Oreos. If you can’t consume dairy, consider replacing the milk and ice cream with plant alternatives. Luckily, Oreos are dairy-free!
If you don’t have a blender you can also make this in a mason jar. To make things easier for your jar and for you, let your ice cream soften a bit on the counter and break down your Oreo cookies. Many supermarkets also now sell pre-crumbled Oreo cookies which you may want to use here.
How to Make Oreo Milkshake (Stepwise photos)
1. Once you’re ready to make the milkshake, first add half cup milk to the bottom of the blender or your mason jar. Adding a liquid first will help the blender mix the ingredients more efficiently.
2. Add 200 grams (7 oz) softened ice cream to the milk. Optionally you may add half a tsp of vanilla extract & 2 tbsps of chocolate sauce. If you want to replicate a cookies and cream shake, do not add chocolate sauce.
3. Break 2 to 3 oreo cookies and add. Using the pulse option, blend the milkshake until smooth. If you over blend, the milkshake will become runny. I add only half the cookies at this stage, add the rest later for a texture. If you don’t like the crumbled cookie texture in your shake, add all (4 cookies) at one time.
If using a mason jar, crush the cookies and add. Cover it with the lid tightly. Begin to shake until thick, melted and smooth. It just takes 2 to 3 mins.
4. Crush 2 cookies finely and add to the Oreo milkshake for a texture.
Pour to the serving glass.
That’s it! Your Oreo milkshake is ready to be enjoyed. For a little more customization, you can try adding flavored syrups or extracts to the milkshake itself, or add garnishes like whipped cream, syrups, cherries, or more Oreos. No matter what you decide, it’s going to taste delicious.
Double Chocolate Oreo Shake
Vanilla is obviously the classic flavor, but don’t be afraid to change things up! If you are a chocolate lover, you will just love this version. Use chocolate ice cream or a combo of chocolate and vanilla to get a double dose of chocolate flavor in your oreo shake.
To make this double chocolate Oreo milkshake, you will need 200 grams ice cream (7 to 8 oz). You can use only chocolate or a combination. 4 Oreo cookies, more cookies for garnishing, 2 tbsp. of chocolate syrup or melted chocolate and ½ cup full fat milk.
Spread some melted chocolate or chocolate syrup across the edges of your serving glass.
Crumble 2 Oreo cookies and add them to a small plate.
Roll the edges of the serving glass in the oreo crumbs. Keep this aside.
To the blender add milk and 3 cookies. I made 2x recipe, so you see more quantities.
Add vanilla ice cream. (optional)
Add chocolate ice cream.
Blend or pulse until smooth, taking care not to overblend.
Add 1crumbled cookie, for a texture. If you keep the cookies large, you will need a large straw to serve.
Pour to the serving glass.
Garnish Oreo milkshake with whipped cream or just with some crushed cookies.
Oreo Milkshake Recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup (or melted chocolate)
- 2 oreo cookies crushed
- whipped cream (optional)
- 2 Mini oreos or as needed
Recipe 1 – Classic Oreo
- 4 to 5 Oreo cookies (divided)
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream (200 grams, 7 oz)
- ¼ to ⅓ cup full fat milk
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chocolate sauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Recipe 2 – Double Chocolate
- 4 to 5 Oreo cookies (divided)
- 1 cup Chocolate ice cream (200 grams, 7 oz, or 5 oz chocolate & 2 oz vanilla)
- ½ cup full fat milk
- 2 tablespoons chocolate sauce (optional)
Recipe 3 – Oreo shake without ice cream
- 4 to 5 Oreo
- 1 medium ripe banana
- ¾ cup milk (dairy or vegan)
- 2 tablespoons chocolate sauce
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Garnish Serving Glass
- Crush 2 Oreo with a rolling pin and add them to a plate. Spread some chocolate sauce or melted chocolate across the edges of the serving glass. Gently roll the edges of the glass over the Oreo crumbs.
How to make Oreo Milkshake & Double Chocolate Oreo
- To a blender jar, pour milk & add ice cream, vanilla (or chocolate sauce). Crumble half the amount of cookies and add them. Blend or pulse until smooth, taking care not to overblend.
- Crush the rest of the cookies and add to the shake. Pour to serving glass and garnish with whipped cream & crushed Oreos.
Banana Oreo Shake
- Slice the banana and freeze overnight. Add it to a blender with chilled milk, vanilla and chocolate sauce. Blend until smooth & frothy.
- Crush the oreo cookies and pulse just until combined & frothy. Pour to serving glass & garnish with crushed Oreos.
- Nutrition Values are for the Classic Oreo Shake without whipped cream and other garnishings.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Tried out oreo milkshake without ice cream. Used a banana and it turned out delicious
Thanks for trying Nikita. Glad you like it