Make Apple Milkshake at home, the easiest way with just 3 ingredients under 5 mins. This Apple Shake is creamy, delicious, protein-packed and nutrient dense. No matter whether you make this Apple Milkshake for a
lazy quick breakfast, a mid-morning or an evening refreshment, its sure going to fuel & keep you energetic for a few hours. We are not the smoothie & milkshake people at home, so most of our fruit intake is either from eating them as is or juicing.
This Apple Milkshake like many other shakes on the blog, is something I make when my kids look out for ways to skip their fruit. Many times I make vegan smoothies with different fruit combinations which they absolutely love.
Pineapple Banana smoothie, Orange Banana smoothie & Apple Orange smoothie are some of them. In fact these fruit smoothies with nothing else added to them digest faster just under 30 mins & I believe the nutrients are absorbed better/faster by our body this way.
I make milkshakes only when my kids ask for it. I also find making shakes is a good way to enjoy the fresh seasonal produce, like during the mango season this Mango Shake is made often.
Apples are available all-round the year so you can make this anytime with any kind of apples that are not sour/tangy. As I said earlier this apple shake needs only 3 ingredients – apples, milk and a sweetener if required. Optionally I use nuts, vanilla extract & ground cinnamon for the flavors. You may leave them out if you don’t want.
Using right ingredients is essential to make a good apple milkshake and here is what you need & how to choose:
Ingredients You Need
Most times apples are waxed and chemical coated for various reasons like shelf life or to withstand the harsh weather conditions. So it is important to choose apples that are not chemically treated.
For the same reason I use organic apples. For making apple shake choose sweet apples that are less acidic. Tart fruits do not go well in shakes.
At home we always avoid fruits with milk (dairy) in a shake. Fruits with milk is one of the most known combination that can cause digestive issues if consumed often.
So I do not use dairy milk to make any fruit shake. I just blend a handful of nuts or almond flour with water to make my own nut milk. Then use it to make an awesome healthy shake.
There are a lot of options to make a vegan shake like using soya milk, almond milk, coconut or oat milk.
If you do not believe or follow any such food combining rules, you may use dairy milk as well. But keep kids and toddlers away from such combinations if you make shakes regularly.
If using soya milk look for preservative free non-gmo soya milk.
I use maple syrup to sweeten my shake. You can also use sugar, powdered jaggery, dates or date syrup or honey. Note that your apple shake will take on the flavors of the sweetener you use. Maple syrup, date syrup and honey do not alter the flavors though.
I also love adding nuts/ nut meal to perk-up the nutrition & that’s totally your choice. Use them if you want to boost your protein intake. If using whole almonds consider soaking them for 5 to 6 hours. Soaked nuts are easily digestible and nutrients are better absorbed.
In the past I would soak the almonds as suggested above but now I use almond flour which is just easier to use, no peeling and getting a smoother shake is easier. However I soak for 20 mins in hot water before using.
How to Make Apple Milkshake (Stepwise Photos)
1. To make one serving of apple shake, you will need 1 apple, 1 cup milk (dairy or vegan) & 1 tsp to 1 tbsp sugar or maple syrup or use 2 soft dates. Optionally if you want to flavor you may use ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon (powder) and a few drops of vanilla extract. To thicken and add protein, use up to 10 cashews.
I use Homemade Almond Milk. For this add 3 tablespoons almond flour to a bowl and pour 4 tablespoons hot water. Let it sit for 20 mins. If using almonds, soak them (12) for 5 to 6 hours and peel them. Later grind in a small jar with 4 tablespoons water to a super smooth milk. Add ½ cup water and grind again. You will get a little over 1 cup almond milk.
2. Wash your apples very well under running water and peel them. Slice & then chop them as needed.
3. Don’t let your apples sit for longer, they will begin to oxidize and turn brown. Add them to a blender.
4. Add all the other ingredients you are using – milk & sweetener. Optional – If using add cinnamon, vanilla and cashews too.
5. Pour the milk. If you want cold shake, add 1 to 2 ice cubes or milk cubes.
6. Blend until smooth and frothy.
7. Pour apple milkshake to a serving glass.
If you want drizzle some cinnamon or brown sugar for garnishing. Serve apple milkshake immediately.
Apple Milkshake (Apple Shake)
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 apple
- 1 cup milk chilled (dairy or vegan milk or water if using nuts)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon organic sugar or 2 soft dates, maple syrup, honey or date syrup
- 10 cashews or 12 almonds or 1 tbsp. nut butter (refer notes)
- 2 pinches cinnamon powder (optional, ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon)
- 2 ice cubes or milk ice cubes (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract (or a few drops essence)
How to Make Apple Milkshake
- Wash, peel and core apples. Chop them and add to the blender.
- Add milk, sweetener, cinnamon, ice cubes and nuts (optional). Blend until smooth & frothy. (If you don't have a powerful blender, add only half the milk initially and blend until smooth. Later add the rest of the milk and ice cubes if using. Blend until frothy.)
- Pour apple milkshake to serving glass and sprinkle cinnamon if you want.
Optional Tip to Make Vegan Milk
- Nut milk: You may make your own zero waste vegan milk by grinding 3 tablespoons almond flour/meal or 12 soaked & peeled almonds with ¼ cup water until smooth. Use a small nut grinder or a chutney jar for this. Later add ½ to ¾ cup water and grind again. No straining required. You can also do the same with cashew nuts.
- Coconut milk: To make your own, grind ¼ to ⅓ cup fresh/frozen coconut (at room temp) with ¼ cup water until smooth and thick. Add more water and grind again to make smooth coconut milk. Strain the milk and use.
- If using dates, soak in little water for sometime. this helps to soften them and they blend well in the apple milkshake.
- If using almonds, soak them for 4 to 6 hours, remove the skin. Soaked almonds are more healthy & easier to blend .
- If you are making nut milk following my instruction in the recipe card, you may skip the extra cashews I mentioned in the ingredients. However I use both and don’t feel they are a lot of nuts in the shake.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes