Coconut ladoo with condensed milk | Coconut balls with milkmaid
Coconut ladoo with condensed milk. Coconut balls made under 15 mins with just 2 basic ingredients – desiccated coconut & condensed milk i.e milkmaid. You can also use some nuts to add a crunch. A quick delicious treat to make for any occasion, celebration or festival like Holi, Ganesh chaturthi, Diwali or Navratri. Indian coconut ladoo are usually made with fresh milk and fresh grated coconut. This is a short cut to the traditional coconut laddu recipe that is made using fresh grated coconut. This recipe is good for those who do not have fresh coconut and time to make from scratch.
You can make so many variations to this coconut ladoo recipe like using cocoa to make chocolate coconut ladoo, you can also dip them in melted chocolate and make chocolate coconut balls. You can also add some khoya to the mixture and make khoya coconut ladoo. If you like to try reduce the amount of condensed milk.
You may also like this collection of 30 easy ladoo recipes.
You can also check these 100 + Diwali sweet recipes
You can also check these 10 Coconut Recipes
How to make coconut ladoo with condensed milk
1. Add half tin or ½ cup plus 2 tbsp or about 200 grams of condensed milk to a heavy bottom or non stick pan.
2. Add desiccated coconut to suit your taste:
If you have a sweet tooth you can use 1 ½ cups or around 130 grams.
If you like moderately sweet then 1 ¾ cups works good.
If you like mildly sweet you can use 2 cups equal to 175 grams. It works with all the above mentioned quantities. This time I added about 2 cups to make them mildly sweet since I made many other desserts. With 2 cups they have a dominating taste of coconut and less of the condensed milk. So judge and use accordingly.
3. Mix it well. Begin to cook on a low flame stirring frequently.
4. If you are using 2 cups, the texture remains same. Cook until the mix turns warm. If you are using lesser than 2 cups, the mixture turns slightly gooey. Continue to cook until it becomes a thick mass. Switch off the stove.
5. Add cardamom powder and some dry roasted nuts. I had these roasted pistachios which i chopped and used.
6. When the mixture is still hot, take small portions and roll to balls.
7. Add some desiccated coconut to a plate and roll them.
8. You can also garnish them with more nuts.
Store coconut ladoo in a air tight jar and refrigerate. Use within 3 to 4 days.
Coconut ladoo recipe with condensed milk or milkmaid
Coconut ladoo with condensed milk | Coconut balls recipe with milkmaid
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup condensed milk + 2 tbsp sweetened or ½ tin or 200 grams
- 1½ to 1¾ cups desiccated coconut (Refer notes)
- 1 pinch cardamom powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp nuts (almonds, pistas or cashews)
- 2 tbsps coconut for garnishing
- If desiccated coconut is very coarse, I suggest blending it in the mixer for a while.
- Dry roast the chopped nuts and set aside.
- Mix together coconut and condensed milk.
- Begin to heat until the mixture turns hot and comes together as a mass.
- Add cardamom powder and nuts.
- When the mixture comes down to warm temperature, take small portions and roll to balls. Roll them immediately in coconut.
- Store coconut ladoo in a air tight jar and refrigerate.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Really great recipe, thanks. My husband and his family really enjoyed.
Hi mam 1cup grated coconut is equal to how much cup of chopped coconut
It depends on the size of gratings (thin or thick) and size of chopped pieces.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. My ladoos are so delicious! The consistency, the amount of coconut and condensed milk are perfect, not too sweet, not too blant. My colleagues are saying it’s like something you would get from a restaurant. 🙂
Happy to hear that! Thank you so much for leaving a comment.
Condensed milk should be sweetened?
Can I use brands available in USA other than milkmaid.
any brand works. You may need to adjust the quantity of condensed milk as the sweetness level may vary
Can this be made using frozen shredded coconut?
Yes you can
These were easy to make and absolutely scrumptious.
Can we add fresh coconut instead of desiccated coconut!
Yes you can use but you will need to use more coconut
This recipe is fantastic – very popular with my family and friends, so easy and delicious. Thank you.
Tried them today .. they were very tasty but became hard in the fridge. How can I make sure they stay soft
Thanks for trying. Just take off the mixture from the stove little earlier. or You can also reduce a bit of coconut about 1/4 cup. Hope this helps.
I tried making this , it came out awesome
Thanks for trying
Hi Swasthi, Thank you very much for the detailed recipe. I followed medium sweetness ratio. It came out well. But unchewable coconut remained in mouth at end. Though my husband was fine with it, I felt it was not ok. Is it expected or any issue in my prep?.. What could be done? Any other simple ingredient could be added to bring down the coconut flavour yet retain the simplicity of this recipe?
You can just process the coconut once in mixer or food processor before adding to the condensed milk. Also soaking for about 20 mins in little milk will help to soften it. You can try reducing the coconut or increasing the condensed milk. Hope this helps.
Read ur coconut condensed milk ladoo how long we can keep it
They keep good for 5 to 7 days in fridge.
Love your recipes, especially because you have taken the time to add step by step instructions. Thank you. Looks yummy!
Glad to know you like the recipes. Thanks for the comment
Very easy and interestng
I made these for a quick treat for my friends. Turned out great as good as your other recipes. Thanks a lot
So glad to know it came out good. Thanks for the comment.
i am srilankn , but this coconut laddoo recepie is very use full fr my god wership i mean, puja so thank you very much swasthi…… 🙂
Glad to know you. Happy the recipe is useful.