Ragi ladoo are delicious, healthy & nutrient dense ladoos made with ragi flour, jaggery, nuts & seeds. These ragi ladoo or nachni laddu make a amazing snack for toddlers, kids & women. I have made these countless number of times for my family & always turn out wonderful.
Red millet or finger millet are known as ragi or nachni in most Indian languages. These tiny grains are a powerhouse of nutrition and are mostly used as a health food in most South Indian homes. To know more about these wonder millet you can read this detailed post on Ragi or finger millet.
There are a few laddu recipes for which one need to understand or have experience with string or ball consistency. Such recipes are surely not for beginners. So this easy ragi ladoo recipe is for those who have difficulty getting the right ball consistency.
These ragi ladoo were made by my mom when I was home in India. They were so tasty that I was tempted to make another batch of these for the blog post.
When I made the nachni ladoo, I made 4 times the quantity of what I mentioned in the recipe which made up to 40 ladoos which were quite a lot. So the quantity in the pictures might not match the recipe.
Which flour to use for ragi ladoo?
I have used sprouted ragi flour, you can use plain ragi flour too. You may like to check this post on how to make sprouted ragi flour. I roasted the flour in ghee for some time since using raw flour may cause stomach upset.
How to make ragi ladoo with less ghee?
The other ingredients that I used here like dry coconut, sesame seeds, and peanuts help to reduce the amount of ghee that might be needed otherwise. They also add lot of taste and aroma to the ladoo.
If you like to use more ghee, skip all the other ingredients and make them just with flour, cardamoms, jaggery and ghee. But then the taste would entirely be different.
Some folks believe that ragi in any form like ragi malt, ragi mudde or ragi roti or ragi ladoo can lead to cold and phlegm especially in the monsoons. If you are someone who believes that, I suggest you to use half teaspoon of dry ginger powder. You can barely feel the spice in the ragi ladoo.
Variations or ragi ladoo
You can adjust the quantity of sesame seeds, peanuts and desiccated coconut to whatever you desire, but the total proportion of these should be ¾ to 1 cup for every 1 cup of ragi flour.
This yields the best tasting ragi ladoos. You can even skip any of these ingredients and increase the quantity of the other ingredients.
Ragi ladoo recipe or nachni ladoo recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for ragi ladoo
- 1 cups ragi flour or finger miller flour – sprouted or plain
- ¼ to ½ cup sesame seeds or any seeds or nuts (refer notes)
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- ¼ cup peanuts or any other nuts
- 150 grams jaggery or palm sugar or sugar (refer notes)
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut or copra (optional)
- 1 ½ to 2 tbsp Ghee or coconut oil
How to make the recipe
Preparation for ragi ladoo
- Heat 1 tbsp. Ghee and fry the flour on a low heat till you get a nice aroma of ragi. Set this aside to cool.
- Dry roast peanuts, cool, remove the skin. It is optional to remove the skin.
- Roast sesame seeds, cool. Set aside ½ tbsp. of seeds aside (optional).
- Dry roast desiccated coconut lightly. set aside to cool.
- Powder together peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut and cardamoms. You can even powder each of these separately if doing in large quantity.
- Grate or powder jaggery or sugar.
how to make ragi ladoo or nachni ladoo
- In a large bowl mix the blended powder, jaggery, flour and sesame seeds that were set aside. Or you can just add the flour and jaggery to the blender if it fits.
- Blend for about 1 to 2 minutes for the oil to ooze out from the mix. Make balls while the mix is still warm. If needed add melted warm ghee and make ragi ladoo.
- Store ragi ladoo in a air tight jar.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If using ½ cup of sesame seeds, increase the quantity of jaggery slightly, by 2 tbsp.
If using sugar you might need to use more ghee else the ladoos may not bind well.
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make ragi ladoo recipe (nachni ladoo)
1. Fry ragi flour in 1 tbsp. ghee till it turns aromatic. Dry roast peanuts and remove the skin once they cool down. Lightly roast coconut and sesame seeds. Cool them. Grate jaggery and set aside. I used palm sugar, you can use jaggery.
2. Powder together peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut and cardamoms. You can even powder each of these separately if doing in large quantity, like i did.
3. Mix all the ingredients and run the blender. The oil from peanuts , sesame and coconut begins to ooze out.
4. Take small portions of this mix and roll them to nachni ladoo. Finish rolling while the mix is warm. If needed add the left over ghee and make the ladoo.
Store ragi ladoo in an airtight jar and handle with moist free hands.