coconut ladoo recipe using jaggery – These fresh coconut ladoo called as Kobbari Louz (lous) in Andhra are packed with a goodness of nutrition and taste. These can be made with either sugar or jaggery, while the jaggery ones are healthier and tastier with the best aroma.
These healthy coconut ladoo can be made to a soft set burfi too with the same recipe. If made correctly this recipe yields a burfi or a laddu that does not stick to the fingers once it is cooled completely.
After our house warming ceremony I was left with lot of coconuts so I had to prepare these. You can make variations to these by adding nuts too.If you have too many broken coconuts during any festivals like ganesh chathurti, Navratri Devi pooja or Diwali, you can prepare these very easily.
to make these healthy coconut ladoo recipe, one needs no special skills since it needs no string consistency to be checked. If you can get good quality jaggery, you can go ahead without melting & filtering it. You can just add it to the coconut.
I used my food processor to grate the coconuts, so the grate is not fine. You can hand grate it with a grater or you can use the readily available coconut gratings in the frozen section. You can even use desiccated coconut, but the cooking time will be slightly lesser.
Making coconut ladoo recipe using jaggery with step by step pictures
1. Add ¼ cup water to grated jaggery and melt it on a low flame. You can do it in a microwave or stove top. Set this aside. If your jaggery is clean you can directly add it to the coconut.
2. Heat a heavy bottom pan, add 1 tsp. oil or ghee. Add the coconut and fry for about 2 to 3 mins on a medium to low flame, stirring constantly to prevent burning. This step is optional. You can skip to the next step if you wish not to fry the coconut. I feel this step brings out the aroma in coconut.
3. Filter the jaggery syrup to the coconut and mix well
4. Add cardamom powder and give a good stir.
5. Continue to cook till all the moisture evaporates from the mixture and it begins to look dry. You can even see jaggery strings in the mix. This took around 3 mins. But this depends on the kind of pan you use. Off the stove. Set aside to cool down slightly.
6. Grease your palms and roll to lemon sized balls.
If prepared right, they stay good for about a week without refrigeration
coconut ladoo recipe with jaggery (kobbari louz recipe)
coconut ladoo recipe with jaggery | kobbari louz recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1.5 cups coconut , grated
- ¾ cup jaggery , Grated or powdered or sugar
- ¼ tsp Green cardamom powder
- Ghee or coconut oil for greasing the palms + 1 tsp.
- ¼ cup Water
How to make the recipe
- Shred or grate the coconut, A food processor can be used to grate.
- Add jaggery and water to a pan and melt it on a low flame. This can be done in the microwave.
- Add ghee to a heavy bottom or non stick pan and heat it. Add the coconuts and fry evenly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pass the jaggery syrup through a filter to discard impurities
- Add cardamom powder and mix well
- Cook till the moisture evaporates and you begin to see strings in the mixture. This could take about 3 to 4 minutes after you add the jaggery syrup. Please mind that the cook time also depends on the kind of pan used. so judge accordingly and switch off the flame
- Cool the mixture, you could add nuts if you desire.
- Grease your palms and take small portions of the mix and make balls.
- These keep good for about a week
Over cooking the mix at step 5 can burn the mix and after some time becomes powdery and cannot roll it to balls. So once all the moisture evaporates you can off the heat.If needed transfer to a different plate.
If you get sticky or soggy balls once it is cool, you can reheat for few more mins, cool and then roll them.
If you plan to use Sugar or clean jaggery, you can directly mix coconut and sugar together with 1 tbsp. water and set this aside for 5 mins and begin to cook in the same process mentioned above