Eggless Orange cake recipe with step by step photos. Soft, moist & delicious eggfree orange flavored cake. It needs no mixer and is quick to make. I have shared 2 recipes here in this post. The first one is a bakery style super soft, moist & delicious cake made with condensed milk, butter, flour, zest and orange juice.
This one is great for celebrations & occasions. It can be frosted and decorated. This recipe is adapted from the eggless vanilla cake I shared earlier.
The second recipe is a vegan cake. It is much like a tea cake & can be served with a cup of tea or milk. This recipe is from a jewish site & I have made it a lot of times with good success.
This is best served warm. You can also make a few variations to this cake by adding nuts, tutti-fruttis or even chocolate chips.
I have tried both these cakes with fine wheat flour. If you do not like the nutty aroma of wheat flour in cakes, then please use organic all-purpose flour. Please scroll down to find the second recipe.
Eggless orange cake (recipe 1)
Eggless Orange Cake Recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour or wheat flour (refer notes 1)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar for sweeter cake (refer notes 2)
- 200 ml condensed milk (¾ cup + 2 tbsps)
- ¼ cup melted butter (or oil)
- ½ cup orange juice (2 to 3 tbsps more if using wheat flour) (notes 3)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1½ tablespoon orange zest (refer notes 4)
How to make the recipe
- Grease and flour a 7 inch cake pan. Or Alternately grease and line with a butter paper. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C or 340 F for atleast 15 mins.
- Sieve together flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt. If using wheat flour repeat the sieve twice more.
- To another bowl, pour melted butter, sugar (optional), orange zest, condensed milk & vinegar.
- Whisk until uniformly mixed.
How to make eggless orange cake
- Add the flour little by little in batches to the liquid ingredients & mix until just combined.
- Next add the flour in batches and mix. Avoid over mixing the batter.
- Transfer this to the greased pan. Tap the pan to the counter twice to remove any bubbles.
- Bake it for 24 to 28 mins or until a tester comes out clean.
- Adjust the timing as needed. This depends on the oven used. When done completely, a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Keep the cake pan for cooling on a rack for 10 mins and then remove it to the rack.
- Cool Completely before frosting or slicing.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Step by step pictures – recipe 1
1. Preheat the oven to 170 deg C or 340 F. Grease and flour the cake tin evenly. Shake off the excess and set aside.
2. Place a sieve over a larger mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Sieve atleast twice for uniform mixing and discard the coarse husk granules(if any) in the wheat flour. Set aside.
3. Mix together melted butter, condensed milk, orange juice, vinegar, sugar & orange zest.
4. Whisk thoroughly until the mixture is uniform & sugar dissolves.
5. Add flour little by little, few tbsps at one time. Mix well to break lumps & incorporate the flour to the liquid ingredients. Do not over mix the batter.
6. Pour this to the greased 7 inch cake tin. Tap twice to remove the bubbles if any.
7. Bake it for 24 to 28 mins or till the cake is done. A tester inserted must come out clean. If the tester is not clean then bake for a little longer. Adjust the baking timing as needed.
8. Place the cake pan over a wired rack and cool for 10 minutes. Then remove to a wired rack.
Cool completely and slice the eggless orange cake.
I have made this cake a lot of times with organic refined coconut oil and wheat flour. The cake turns out to be fine for snacking. But If you are making it for an occasion then I suggest to make it with all-purpose flour.
My cake had a deep orange color as I used wheat flour and fresh orange juice. If using all-purpose flour it will turn lighter in color.
Ingredients for eggless orange cake
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
¾ cup sugar
1 ½ tbsps Orange zest (check notes in recipe card)
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon vinegar (I used apple cider)
1/3 cup oil (or melted butter) ( I used refined organic coconut oil)
1.Grease or line a 8 inch cake pan. Preheat the oven to 170 C or 340 F for atleast 15 mins. If you do not have a 8 inch pan, then use a 6 inch pan and some ramekins to make cupcakes. I did that.
2.Place a sieve over a large mixing bowl and add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3.Add sugar and orange zest. Mix everything well.
4.Pour oil, orange juice & vinegar.
5.Gently whisk together to incorporate the dry ingredients to the wet.
6.Pour it to the cake pan. Tap it to the counter twice to release any air bubbles. I poured it to a 6 inch pan and the rest to 3 ramekins.
7.Bake it for 24 to 27 mins. A tester inserted comes out clean if the cake is baked completely. If the tester isn’t clean then continue to bake for a little longer. Adjust the timing based on your oven.
8.Place the cake pan on a wired rack and cool completely. Then invert it over the rack after 10 mins. This cake is very tender so cool itcompletely before slicing.
To know the texture of this sliced eggless orange cake, scroll up.