Dry gulab jamun recipe is different from kala jamun. To make the dry gulab jamun, jamuns are made the regular way and then soaked in sugar syrup till they absorb the syrup and become soft from inside. Then drained off from the sugar syrup and just rolled in sugar and refrigerated.
To make dry gulab jamun recipe, you can use store bought or make from scratch using this gulab jamun recipe. You can also make them with khoya or milk powder or plain flour or using ready made pack of gulab jamun flour or even bread and make bread gulab jamun.
I made dry bread gulab jamun, just to demonstrate here . They smell and taste yeasty when compared to the ones with khoya or milk powder jamuns, they are good to have dry, after they are rolled in sugar or coconut and sugar. They are surely not a festive delight. But they could be a good option if you are looking for low fat desserts, since these really don’t soak up oil when deep fried.
How to make bread gulab jamun recipe
1. Add 3/4 cup sugar along with 1/2 cup water to a pot.
2. Make a syrup by boiling till it becomes sticky. No string consistency must be formed. Add few drops of rose water. Switch off the stove and leave it on the burner to keep hot till the balls are ready.
3. I used 5 slices of bread. White bread works well for this.
4. Cut the bread to small pieces and make a dough using milk as needed. Do not over knead. Use a tsp of melted ghee or oil to grease your hands. Divide the dough and make round balls.
5. Heat oil in a pot. When the oil is medium hot, add the balls. Frying on very high heat will brown the balls without cooking them inside. Frying on very low flame will turn them hard. Deep fry them in hot oil till golden on a medium flame.
6. Immediately drop to the hot syrup. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes for the balls to soften. Soak for 5 to 6 hours. I left it overnight.
7. When they are soaked well, drain them off the syrup.
8. Roll them in 2 to 4 tbsp. sugar or coconut or half sugar and half coconut.
9. If using coconut, make sure the gulab jamun are moist with sugar syrup otherwise the coconut will not stick over them.
Chill them and serve.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
To make bread gulab jamun
- 5 slices white bread , edges trimmed off
- 3/4 cup sugar with 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp rose water or cardamom powder
- 3 to 4 tbsp full fat milk
- oil for deep frying
making dry gulab jamun.
- 10 gulab jamuns
- sugar few table spoons or coconut or both mixed
How to make the recipe
- Make bread gulab jamun as mentioned in the step by step instructions. Or use any gulab jamun.
- Drain the gulab jamun from the sugar syrup after they are soaked well.
- Roll them in sugar or coconut or both mixed together, refrigerate for at least an hour before serving
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.