Eggless chocolate cake recipe with video & step by step photos – This simple moist, soft chocolate cake has no butter, no eggs, no milk in it except for the frosting which uses little butter & milk. This cake is made with almost very basic ingredients and is popularly known as wacky cake or depression cake.
It was born during the world war 2 as a result of introducing the rationing system by the British government to overcome the food shortages.
This cake was baked during those times as it needed only the basic ingredients like flour, oil, soda and sugar. Ingredients like eggs, milk and butter which were in shortage were not needed.
Eggless chocolate cake is one of the quickest and can be made even by a beginner without any hassles. It turns out very soft, moist, spongy and very light.
A simple chocolate syrup, whipped cream frosting or chocolate buttercream frosting goes well on this cake.
This eggless cake recipe & a no bake biscuit cake recipe had been very popular almost a decade ago and had come in many food magazines and columns.
Faqs on eggless chocolate cake
1. Can maida/ all-purpose flour be replaced with wheat flour?
Yes, But the cake turns dense and the flavor alters too. If you like to try, use very fine ground wheat flour. Next add in 1 to 2 tbsp more of water.
2. Can I use butter instead of oil?
Yes oil can be substituted with melted unsalted butter. But oil makes the cake more moist.
3. Can I replace water with milk?
Yes I have made this cake many times using full fat milk. The texture turns slightly dense.
4.Can I use baking powder instead of baking soda?
No, Baking powder cannot be used to make this eggless chocolate cake recipe. Baking soda & baking powder are different.
5.How to bake this cake without a oven?
If you do not have a oven you can also bake this cake in a cooker or a heavy bottom pot. You can check this post on How to make cake in cooker.
6.Can I make this cake with dry fruits & nuts?
Yes you can use about half cup fine chopped tutti fruttis or mixed dry fruits. Toss them in 1 tbsp flour and gently stir them with the prepared batter at the last step.
7.What adjustments should I make if using wheat flour, butter & milk?
To make this eggless chocolate cake with wheat flour, butter & milk just use little more water or milk. Then to improve the taste & texture pour some sugar syrup over the cake to keep it moist.
For the sugar syrup, boil 2 tbsps sugar in 4 tbsps water until the sugar dissolves and begins to boil well. Cool this and pour over the cake after cooling completely. Go ahead frosting the cake.
Tips to make the best eggless chocolate cake
1. Test the baking soda before use: Make sure you use good quality baking soda. To test it, add 2 tbsps of lemon juice or vinegar to a bowl. Add half tsp baking soda & stir. If it is fresh then it will bubble & fizz immediately.
Next if the mixture does not bubble & fizz up it indicates the baking soda is not good so replace it with a new bottle of soda.
If your baking soda is not good then the cake will turn flat and will not turn spongy.
2.Quantity of soda: Do not increase the quantity of soda as it may leave a bitter taste.
3. Vinegar: Use good quality vinegar that is meant for cooking. If possible use apple cider vinegar. Good quality acidic ingredient will help the baking soda to react well and will make the cake light & spongy.
4. Vanilla flavor: I use vanilla extract for most of my bakes. You can also replace it with vanilla powder or vanilla essence. Often readers ask me if extract & essence are same. They are not same.
Vanilla essence is an artificial flavoring agent so you will have to use only a few drops in the recipe.
I also use this recipe to make the base for Eggless black forest cake
Eggless chocolate cake recipe
Eggless chocolate cake
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for eggless chocolate cake
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour or organic maida or wheat flour (180 grams)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (use good quality cocoa)
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda (check expiry date)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup sugar (organic, or 1.5 cups grated jaggery)
- 1 cup Water (use milk to make rich cake)
- 1/3 cup oil or 80 ml (coconut or canola or light olive oil or melted butter)
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar or plain vinegar, use good quality)
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract (or vanilla powder or essence as needed)
For the chocolate sauce (Frosting 1 – method 1)
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 to 6 tablespoon sugar (or powdered jaggery as needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
or For chocolate buttercream frosting (Frosting 2 – method 2)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (soft but cold)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder (good quality)
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar (or icing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 2 ½ tablespoons milk (or whipping cream)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for eggless chocolate cake recipe
- Preheat the oven to 170 C or 340 F for at least 15 mins.
- Grease a 8 or 9 inch round cake pan & drizzle some flour on it. or Line with a parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix 1 ½ cups flour, ¼ cup cocoa powder, ½ tsp salt and 1 tsp baking soda.
- Sieve the flour mix at least twice to aerate the flour. This makes the cake light.
- If using wheat flour then sieve four times.
- Add 1 cup sugar and mix it well. I use fine sugar.
- If you are using coarse one then you can also dissolve it in 1 cup water (called for the recipe) and pour it in the next step.
How to make eggless chocolate cake
- Make a well (space) in the center. Pour 1 cup water, 1/3 cup oil or melted butter, 1 tbsp vanilla extract and 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar.
- Gently begin to mix well from the liquid ingredients in the center.
- Mix just until the flour is combined well with the wet ingredients. Do not over mix.
- The batter will be runny. Pour it to the cake pan.
- Knock it a few times against the kitchen counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 to 28 mins. Check after 23 mins. To check if it is completely baked, insert a skewer in the center of the cake and check. It must come out clean.
- Keep the cake pan on a wire rack and allow it to cool down for 8 to 10 mins in the pan.
- Invert eggless chocolate cake gently on a wire rack. Allow it to cool completely.
- You can frost the cake if you like or just sprinkle some powdered sugar.
- This eggless chocolate cake tastes best the next day.
Making chocolate sauce (Frosting 1)
- Mix together ¾ cup milk, 2 tbsps cocoa, 1 tsp vanilla extract & 4 to 6 tbsps sugar.
- The mixture must be lump free & smooth.
- Begin to cook on a low to medium heat stirring constantly until slightly thick & creamy.
- Taste it and add more sugar if needed & boil. Cool down completely.
- Place the cake on a plate or a tray that can hold the excess dripping from chocolate sauce.
- Pour the chocolate frosting on the cooled eggless chocolate cake.
- Spread with spatula. For step by step pics, please refer this Ragi cake.
OR Making frosting for eggless cake (Frosting 2)
- Ensure the butter is soft yet cold. When you press down the block of butter, it must dent easily yet hold shape without melting.
- Add butter to a large bowl and beat it until soft and fluffy. You can use a hand mixer or just a whisk.
- Place a sieve over the butter bowl. Add cocoa and powdered sugar to the sieve. Sieve it well.
- Pour vanilla and 2 tbsps milk or cream. Mix them up lightly.
- Then whisk or beat until everything turns smooth fluffy and light. It must be of spreadable consistency.
- If it is too thick, then add another half to 1 tbsp milk or cream. Beat well until it reaches a good consistency.
- Do not over beat else the butter begins to melt.
- If needed you can keep it in the fridge for a while.
- Spread a tbsp of frosting on your cake stand. Place 4 – 2 by 8 inch parchment paper strips across the four sides of the cake stand.
- Place the cake over these papers with the frosting beneath the cake.
- Scoop off a good amount of frosting to the cake. Begin to spread from the center and then towards the sides.
- Place the cake in the fridge for about 40 mins. Then smoothen the cake with a spatula. Remove the parchment papers gently.
- Eggless chocolate cake is ready. Slice & serve.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make eggless chocolate cake
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C. Grease a cake pan and drizzle some flour all over on the sides and bottom. Invert it & pat it off over the kitchen sink to remove the excess flour.
I highly suggest using parchment paper to line the cake tray. This way the eggless chocolate cake comes out of the pan easily.
Prepare dry ingredients
2. Place a sieve over a large mixing bowl. Add flour, cocoa, salt and soda.
3. Mix them gently. Sieve them together twice. This aerates the flour and makes the cake light.
4. Add sugar and mix well. I used organic fine sugar. If using coarse sugar then you can also dissolve it in 1 cup water (called for the recipe) and use in the next step. If using jaggery, dissolve and filter it.
5. Make space for the liquid ingredients in the center.
Mixing dry & wet ingredients
6. Pour water.
7. Pour oil. I have used organic virgin coconut oil. Do use some light oil otherwise the cake may smell oily.
8. Next add vanilla extract.
9. Add freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar. Make sure you use a good quality vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar.
10. Mix all these well gently just until well combined.
11. You will notice that the cake batter begins to bubble up. The acidic ingredient vinegar or lemon juice begins to react with the baking soda. Do not over mix at this stage, it may make the cake dense.
Baking eggless chocolate cake
12. Pour the cake batter to the pan. Knock it to the kitchen counter a few times.
13. Bake it in the preheated oven for 25 to 28 mins. Check after 25 mins. The timings may vary depending on the oven. So bake it until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
14. Allow it to cool down for 8 to 10 mins. Invert it on a cake rack.
15. Remove the parchment papers. Cool it completely. If you prefer to frost you can do a chocolate frosting or you can just dust some powdered sugar and some sprinkles.
This eggless chocolate cake tastes best the next day. It keeps good at room temperature for 2 days and in the fridge for 6 to 7 days.
I made a super quick chocolate buttercream frosting, please follow the recipe card for details.
You can also make a chocolate sauce frosting with very few ingredients. Please check the recipe card.