Falooda recipe with video and step by step photos – Faluda is a Ice cream dessert that is popular in India and neighboring countries. This delicious dessert FALOODA is made by layering sabja seeds, vermicelli, rose syrup, then topped with chilled milk and ice cream. Lastly garnished with chopped pistachios. There are various types of falooda, I am sharing the basic one with ice cream.
Sabja seeds also known as Tukmaria or sweet basil seeds are the key ingredient in falooda. These seeds have amazing health benefits & are said to be cooling to the body. Using these seeds during summer keeps the body cool.
The pictures and the video shared in this post were shot at two different times so there is a variation in the color of the rose syrup and the jelly used.
In the video I have used organic rose syrup and homemade jelly which I made using agar agar & rose syrup.
Vermicelli or sev: To make falooda, usually thin vermicelli or sev made of corn flour are used. However they can be replaced with thin sev or seviyan made of wheat flour.
Milk: To make the falooda rich and creamy, milk is boiled until it reduces and thickens slightly. Then it is chilled and used. However you can get the same taste by using 1 extra scoop of ice cream in each serving glass.
Ice cream: I have used this homemade vanilla ice cream, you can also use store bought. But make sure you use an eggless ice cream, otherwise the egg smell dominates the falooda. You can find more Easy ice cream recipes here.
Sabja or tukmaria are also known as sweet basil seeds and are easily available in the Indian stores. However if you do not have then, simply replace with chia seeds. But the aroma of sabja seeds will be missing in your falooda.
Rose syrup is similar to any other flavoured syrup. If you do not get rose syrup simply replace with strawberry syrup.
Jelly: Most jellies sold in the stores have gelatin so I made mine using agar agar which I have shared below in the recipe.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for falooda
- 400 ml milk full fat chilled
- 3 tablespoon sugar organic
- 1 ½ tablespoon sweet basil seeds or sabja seeds or tukumaria seeds (substitute with chia)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons Rose jelly (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rose syrup (prefer organic)
- ½ cup falooda sev or any thin vermicelli or semiya
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
How to make the recipe
Preparation for falooda
- Chill the milk and add sugar to it. Stir well until dissolved.
- You can also boil the milk until it reduces and thickens a bit. Usually milk is boiled until it reduces to half. Then chilled.
- Wash falooda seeds and drain them to a coffee filter.
- Soak them in a bowl of water for 2 hours. Drain them to a sieve if there is excess water.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a pot.
- Add vermicelli or sev and cook until just done. Follow the instructions on the pack.
- Drain excess water and set aside.
How to make falooda
- You will need 2 large serving glasses. Add jelly to the glass first if using.
- Then sabja seeds. Add vermicelli and then rose syrup.
- Next pour milk.
- Then scoop off the ice cream and add it to the glass. Sprinkle some pistachios.
- Serve falooda immediately.
(optional) Jelly for falooda or buy ready made
- Dissolve ½ cup sugar, 5 grams of agar in 500 to 600 ml of water.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 1 to 2 mins. Add in a a few drops of organic food color.
- Turn off and pour it to a bowl or tray for setting.
- Cut to desired sizes and store in fridge until use.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
1. Clean falooda seeds and wash them. I usually add them to a large bowl of water and drain them to a coffee filter. Then add more water and soak.
2. Soak them for about 2 to 4 hours. They will swell up and absorb water. If there is any excess water, drain them to a sieve.
3. Bring water to a boil in a pot or pan. Add sev and cook until they are done. Follow the instructions on the pack for cooking time as it varies depending on the brand used. Drain these and set aside.
4. Add sugar to chilled milk.
5. Stir it until dissolved. You can also boil the milk until it thickens a bit. Then chill it. I have used an extra scoop of ice cream just to give the same taste.
How to make falooda or faluda at home
6. Using jelly is optional. I made it using agar agar and organic rose syrup.
7. Transfer sabja seeds.
8. Add sev.
9. Pour rose syrup.
10. Next transfer chilled milk.
11. Scoop off the ice cream and top it.
Garnish falooda with chopped pistachios.