Fruit custard recipe – creamy, delicious & flavorful fruit salad made with custard & fresh fruits. Similar to popular Indian desserts – Gulab jamun and Carrot halwa, a chilled fruit custard makes its presence in most special meals and parties. It can be a great summer treat to your friends, family and guests.
Custard is a saucy dish that was traditionally prepared with cream, milk and eggs. Today one can find so many ways of making a custard. The simplest way is to use a store bought custard powder like I have done for this post.
How to make custard without custard powder
Custard powder is nothing but corn starch or corn flour with flavoring ingredients added to it. So If you are not accessible to custard powder, you can make your own using corn flour (corn starch) or arrowroot powder. To flavor the custard, just use vanilla extract or vanilla bean pod. To enhance the flavor of custard you can also use 3 to 4 tbsp dry milk powder.
I have used a eggless custard powder that has no artificial colors and flavors. I have used banana, pomegranate, mango and apples that were all sweet and not sour. You can use fruits of your choice but mostly sweet fruits go well.
Easy fruit custard recipe
Fruit custard recipe - Fruit custard is a dessert made with custard sauce and fresh fruits. Any sweet tasting fresh fruits go well in this fruit custard recipe. Always serve fruit custard as a chilled dessert.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for custard recipe
- 2 cups milk (can use almond milk or soya milk)
- 2 or 2 ½ tbsp custard powder or corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugar organic
Fruits of your choice (about 2 cups, use as desired)
- 1 apple - medium sized
- ½ mango - large
- 1 banana - medium sized
- ½ pomegranate or as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for fruit custard
Wash the fruits thoroughly and chill them in the fridge. Refrigerating after chopping will let out juices from the cut fruits making the custard runny.
How to make custard
- Heat milk in a wide pan or sauce pot.
- Add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
Meanwhile add custard powder to a small cup. Then pour 3 to 4 tbsp of milk to it. Stir well. Make sure it is free from any lumps.
When the milk turns hot, pour 2 tbsp of the mix to the hot milk. Stir it until well incorporated.
- Repeat adding little more and stir well. Pour the rest of the mix and stir well to prevent lumps.
Keep stirring and cook on a low to medium heat until the custard turns thick. The custard must coat the back of the spoon well but must be yet of runny consistency.
Switch off the stove and whisk the custard well to make it smooth. Cover immediately.
Cool this completely and chill it in the fridge.
How to make fruit custard
Whisk the custard well before serving. This ensures even and smooth fruit custard.
- Peel and chop the fruits to bite size. Add them to serving bowl or individual serving cups.
- Pour the custard over the fruits and gently mix.
- Serve fruit custard immediately.
Video of Fruit custard recipe
If using corn starch or arrowroot powder, then use vanilla extract or vanilla bean pod to flavor it. Also dry milk powder enhances the flavor of custard.
How to make fruit custard recipe
1. Add custard powder to a small mixing bowl. Pour 4 tbsp of milk and mix well.
2. The mixture has to be smooth without lumps.
3. Add sugar and milk to a pan. Begin to heat it on a medium flame.
4. When the milk turns hot, add 2 tbsps of the custard milk.
5. Mix well.
6. Add some more custard milk and stir well. Add the entire custard milk in 3 batches.
7. Stir well as it continues to boil. With in few minutes, the mixture turns thick. Turn off the stove.
10. Whisk the mixture well to smooth.
11. Cover it immediately otherwise a layer forms on the custard. When it cools down keep it in the fridge until chilled.
Serving fruit custard or fruit salad
12. Wash the fruits well. Chill them too while the custard chills.
13. Just before serving, chop them to bite sized pieces.
14. Add them to a serving bowl.
15. Whisk the chilled custard well until smooth.
Pour the custard over the fruits. Gently mix.
Garnish fruit custard with some pomegranate seeds.