fruit kesari recipe – Navratri wishes to all the readers and friends celebrating this festival. Sharing a simple, quick and very delicious fruit kesari or fruit sheera that can be made during this festive season. You can find the complete collection of 33 navratri recipes here To make this fruit kesari recipe Apple, banana, pineapple go well. It tastes amazing with a punch of so many fruit flavors. The quantity of sugar used to make this is only half of the amount used to make the regular kesari recipe. It is one of the best to make when you have friends or guests visiting home since it has a special taste, flavor and looks beautiful.
fruits like mango and papaya can also be used, since i did not have them haven’t used. Without the addition of kesar/saffron this will be a fruit sheera, all that one would miss is the color and no change in the taste.
How to make fruit sheera or fruit kesari
1. Wash and chop all the fruits to tiny cubes. Set them aside.
2. Dry roast rava on a medium flame until it smells lightly roasted and turns crunchy. Do not roast too much as it discolors. Set this aside.
3. To the same pot, add 1.5 tbsp ghee. Fry cashews until golden on a medium flame. Add raisins and saute for one to 2 mins. I also used some dried apricots. This is optional. I soaked them in water until soft and then chopped. Set them all aside after frying in ghee.
4. Add chopped fruits and saute for 2 to 3 mins in ghee. This brings out the flavors of fruits well. You can also add chopped apricots now instead of adding it at the earlier step.
5. Add sugar. I used organic sugar. You can also add sugar after the rawa is cooked after step 11.
6. Pour water and add crushed saffron for the kesari color. If you do not have saffron, just skip it and make a fruit sheera.
7. Bring it to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. This will melt the sugar and bring out the deep color from saffron.
8. Add elaichi/cardamom powder.
9. Pour rava in a slow stream, stirring with one hand and pouring with the other. This helps to prevent lumps.
10. Be careful it begins to splash while cooking. Cook on a medium heat, stir well a few times to make sure there are no lumps.
11. Lower the flame. Cover and cook until all the moisture is absorbed.
12. Add little more ghee, roasted nuts and fruits. Mix well and cover. Set aside for a while.
Mixed fruit sheera or fruit kesari recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ½ cups rava / sooji / semolina
- 1 ½ cups fruits finely chopped (refer notes)
- 2 tbsp ghee (3 tbsp suggested)
- 3 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup sugar (adjust as needed)
- 1 Handful cashews
- ¼ tsp cardamom / elaichi
- 1 pinch saffron (for color)
How to make the recipe
- Roast rava in a pan till it smells good. Set aside. Fry the nuts and cashews in ghee.Set these aside.
- Fry fruits in the ghee for 3 minutes. Add sugar, water and saffron.
- Bring it to a boil. Add cardamom powder, pour the rawa slowly to the water, stirring water to prevent lumps.
- Cover the lid and cook until the water is absorbed. In between stir well to break lumps if any.
- Add ghee and fried nuts.Keep covered for a while.
- Serve hot or warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
3/4 cup pineapple chunks,
1/2 cup apple (half small apple)
1/4 cup bannana (one small banana)
you can also add 1/4 cup more of any fruits like mango or papaya.
Make sure all the fruits are fresh and nice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.