How to blanch almonds and make almond meal – with step by step photos
blanching almonds at home is easier, less expensive and more hygienic than the store bought one. sometimes the packed almond meal end up being rancid, smelly and sometimes with larvae. Though there are packed in a see through pack, cannot notice unless we open the pack. i had to discard after which i started making my own almond meal at home. You can use the almond meal for your curries, cookies, cakes, burfi and for making almond milk shakes and almond milk too.
Almonds to almond meal conversion
When i prepared this almond meal i happened to measure and found that
1.5 cups of almonds yields 2 cups plus one tablespoon of almond meal, Hence
to make 1 cup of almond meal , we need 3/4 cup of almonds
For more how to, check
how to make dates syrup
how to aloe vera juice
how to make biryani masala powder
how to make flax seeds spice powder
how to make barley water
how to make almond milk
how to make thick curd at home
how to blanch almonds and make almond meal recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1.5 cups almonds
- 8 cups water
How to make the recipe
- In a large and wide pan, bring water to a rapid boil. Switch off the heat.
- Immediately add almonds to the pan, Spread evenly. Do not crowd them.
- Let them rest for a min or two. Drain them in a colander.
- Rinse under running water.
- Drain them in a colander and transfer to a clean kitchen cloth or absorbent tissues. Spread them. The skin is loose now, you can just remove the skin easily. You can hold each almond in between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze it off inside the napkin to prevent it popping elsewhere in the kitchen.
- Transfer these to the wide pan, and lightly roast until they look moist free. Keep tossing them to prevent discoloring. Cool them.
- Add them to a blender and powder it.
- Store it in an airtight jar.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Leaving the almonds in hot water for longer can make them soft and is difficult to make them crunchy.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
step by step photos on how to blanch almonds and make almond meal
1. Bring water to a rapid boil in a large wide pan and off the stove.
2. Add almonds to the boiling water, spread them evenly. Leave them in the water just for one to 2 minutes.
3. Drain them off in a colander, wash under running water.
4. Drain them again. Spread them on a cloth. You see the skin would have been loose now.
5. Peel off the skins. They just come out without much effort. Pat them dry with the dry side of the napkin.
6. Transfer these to the wide pan you used for boiling water, make sure the pan is dry. Dry roast them on a medium flame till they look moist free or dry. Do not discolor them. It took about 5 minutes for me to toast. Cool completely.
7. Add to a dry blender.
8. Powder finely.
Almond meal is ready. store in an air tight jar and refregerate if you stay in a high humid climate.