Mango lassi is one of the most popular Indian beverage that’s loved by everyone. Most Indian restaurants have this on their menu along with the Punjabi Sweet lassi. Mango lassi tastes best when made with mature sweet ripe mangoes, fresh yogurt/curd and cardamom powder.
In restaurants when fresh mangoes are not in season it is made using frozen mangoes.
To make any lassi, always use fresh curd or yogurt that is not sour. Even a faint smell of sourness ruins the taste and flavor of mango lassi. You can minimize the usage of sugar by using ripe mangoes.
Mangoes are available through out the year in Singapore. But the best tasting varieties can be found during the months of May and June. We did grab a carton of Alphonso mangoes early this month.
They were not very sweet tasting or sour. I used some of them to make the lassi and a cheese cake.
You can also used tinned mango pulp if fresh mangoes are not available.
Indian mango lassi recipe
Mango lassi recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup Mangoes (cubed & chilled, sweet & ripe)
- ¾ to 1 cup Curd or yogurt (chilled)
- 4 cardamoms powdered or elaichi powder
- 3 tbsps sugar (use as needed)
- ½ to ¾ cup water as needed or ice cubes
How to make the recipe
- Wash mangoes and peel the skin.
- Cube them and chill for few hours. This keeps the lassi cold after blending.
- Also chill the curd and water. You can also use ice cubes instead of water.
- Powder the cardamoms. I usually powder them along with little sugar. This way they get powdered easily.
- Add mangoes, cardamon powder and sugar to a blender jar. Pour the water.
- Blend until the mangoes are smooth.
- Pour the yogurt and run the blender once more. Add more water if needed.
- Blend until smooth. Mango lassi has a pouring consistency but is thick. You can adjust sugar, curd or mangoes in the recipe to suit your taste.
- Serve mango lassi chilled. Garnish with sliced pistachios and cardamom powder.
Add more mangoes, if you prefer more mango flavor & taste. Using too much curd or water will diminish the mango flavor in the lassi.
How to make mango lassi
1. Wash, peel and cube mangoes. Chill them along with curd and water. Instead of water you can also use buttermilk or ice cubes. I used 1 cup yogurt, ¾ cup fresh set curd which was slightly runny and then about ¼ to ½ cup water.
You don’t need to stick on to the measurements. Alter them to suit your taste as mentioned in the notes above.
2. Pour water, mangoes, sugar and cardamom powder as well.
3. Next cover and blend until very smooth. Make sure there are no mango fibers left.
4. Then pour the curd.
5. Blend just until smooth.
6. Taste it. Lastly adjust sugar, mangoes, curd or water as needed. Do adjust the consistency to suit your liking.
Finally garnish mango lassi with chopped pistas. Serve chilled.