Masala pav is a delicious popular Indian street food made with butter toasted buns & a spicy onion tomato masala. “Pav” is the Indian name for dinner rolls or buns. These are topped with a generous amount of the masala and then garnished with coriander leaves & chopped onions. Street foods are immensely popular in India and a larger population enjoys them often.
For hygiene reasons, these are best prepared at home. I prefer to make all of these at home as my kids keep asking.
Making masala pav is the easiest of all these and just takes about 20 to 25 mins. Since these don’t need any chaat chutneys, they can be made instantly without any planning.
Easy masala pav recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsps butter
- 4 pavs (buns)
- ¾ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- ¼ to ½ cup capsicum finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder (adjust to suit your spice levels)
- ½ to 1 tsp pav bhaji masala powder
- Salt as needed
- 1 lemon medium
- 1 Handful coriander leaves chopped finely
How to make the recipe
- Heat a tawa or a griddle with 1 tbsp butter on a high flame.
- Saute onions & green chilli in the butter until lightly golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute tiill the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt.
- Cook until they turn soft.
- Add capsium, chili powder and pav bhaji masala.
- Saute very well for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add very little water and allow to cook the masala until soft.
- Mash up very well with the spatula.
- When the masala begins to smell good, add some coriander leaves and mix.
- Move all the masala to one side of the tawa.
- Add little butter and slit the pav. Toast them on both the sides.
- Transfer the masala over the pav. Squeeze in some lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Smear some masala on the top as well.
- Add some onions and coriander leaves on top.
- Serve masala pav immediately.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make
1.Heat butter on a pan or tawa. Then add onions and green chilies. Fry the onions until golden. Then ginger garlic paste and fry until it smells good.
2.Add the tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy.
3.Then add capsicum and saute for a few minutes.
4.Add red chilli powder and pav bhaji powder. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes until the masala smells good.
5.Then pour little water and cook until the masala is cooked through and turns soft. Cook until the masala turns aromatic. Mash it well with a spatula. Taste it and add more salt and masala if needed.
6.Then move it aside on the pan. Slit the pav. Spread little butter over the slit pav. Fry them until crisp and golden.
7.Then spread the masala on the pav. Place the other slice of pav over it. Top it with the prepared masala.
Sprinkle some coriander leaves, lemon juice and chopped onions. Serve masala pav immediately.