Milk rava kesari recipe – Sheera or kesari is one of the most made sweet recipes from south Indian cuisine. It is made during festivals, celebrations and even for breakfast. In many homes this is made often to offer during the puja since it is quick to make. I made this during one of the Ganesh puja days as an offering. This milk rava kesari or paal kesari is same as the rava kesari but this one is made using milk.
Some women are specific about making an offering made with Cow’s milk on certain days. This milk kesari recipe is mostly made in my home when we make an offering to Goddess Lakshmi or Gouri as we prefer making something with Cow’s milk.
Since I do not use food colors, I have used saffron to to get the kesari color. You can also skip it if you do not have. It gives a mild aroma of saffron to the halwa.
Milk rava kesari recipe
Milk rava kesari recipe | How to make milk kesari recipe
South Indian milk rava kesari or milk kesari is a sweet pudding made with semolina, sugar and clarified butter.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup semolina or semolina
- ½ cup sugar (prefer organic) (can reduce 2 tbsp)
- ¾ cup milk full fat
- ¾ cup water or 1 ½ cups low fat milk
- 2½ tbsps ghee or clarified butter
- 2 tbsp cashewnuts
- Pinch saffron or natural orange food color (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder or elaichi
How to make the recipe
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp ghee and fry the nuts. Set them aside.
- In the same pan, add rava and fry until crunchy. Stirring often to prevent burning. Set this aside as well.
Making milk rava kesari
- To the same pan, add sugar, water and milk. Crush saffron and add to milk along with cardamom powder.
- Allow to boil on a medium heat. Make sure the sugar and saffron disolves by stirring the milk a few times.
- Reduce the flame to low. Slowly add the rava to the milk, stirring constantly with the other hand to prevent lumps.
- Cook covered until the moisture is absorbed.
- Add 1 tbsp ghee and mix well. Allow to cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Switch off the stove.
- Serve milk rava kesari hot or warm. Garnish with cashews.
How to make milk kesari recipe
1. Pour 1 tbsp ghee to a hot pot and fry cashews until golden. Set these aside.
2. Add rava and saute stirring often until crunchy. Set this aside as well.
3. Next add sugar to the same pot.
4. Pour milk and water together.
5. Add crushed saffron and cardamom powder. If adding food color follow the instructions on the pack.
6. Allow the milk to boil well. Sugar must completely melt and even saffron must almost become soft.
7. Reduce the flame to medium. Pour rava slowly with one hand and stirring with the other hand.
8. Make sure there are no lumps of rava.
9. Cook covered until the rava absorbs all the moisture.
10. Stir well and add ghee.
11. Switch off. Stir well and keep covered.
Serve milk rava kesari hot or warm with nuts garnished.