Semiya kesari recipe – made without using food color. Semiya kesari is a variation to the Semiya payasam, made with an addition of kesar/saffron. But made without using milk. Semiya is a south Indian term to vermicelli and kesari is a sweet dish made with semolina, ghee, sugar and saffron color.
There are some sweets which I rarely make at home, considering the amount of unhealthy refined sugar that goes towards making them. This semiya kesari is one of them.
I choose to make this as a last minute option since it can be made quickly within 15 minutes & tastes good.
Thought of sharing it here for the upcoming festive season, dasara and diwali since it can be offered as naivedyam to Gods.
I made this colorful semiya kesari without using any food colors, just by adding a pinch of saffron. You may also like to check this rava kesari recipe.
How to make semiya kesari recipe
1. Bring water to a boil in a separate pot or microwave.
2. While the water boils, add ghee to a pan and fry the nuts. When they turn lightly golden, add raisins and stir till they swell up. Transfer them to a plate.
3. Add semiya and fry till lightly golden. Do not discolor or burn them.
4. Pour the hot water to the semiya. Add saffron and cardamom powder. You can add cardamom powder with sugar too. Bring the water to a boil on high flame. When it begins to boil, reduce the flame to medium and cook till fully done.
5. Add sugar and stir. Sugar melts and releases moisture. Let it cook till all the moisture evaporates. Do not overcook, semiya kesari becomes rubbery and sticky.
South Indian semiya kesari recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients to make semiya kesari
- 1 cup semiya or vermicelli
- ½ to ¾ cup Sugar
- 1/8 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 Pinch saffron or kesari color
- 1 ½ cups water (refer notes)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 10 cashews split or as desired
- 10 raisins or as desired
How to make the recipe
Preparation for semiya kesari
- Bring water to a boil in a pot on stove or microwave.
- Heat a heavy bottom pot or pan with ghee.
- Next add cashew nuts and fry them till light golden.
- Then add raisins and fry until they swell up. Remove these to a plate.
- Add semiya to the pan and roast them lightly on a medium flame.
- Do not let them brown. If using roasted semiya skip this step of roasting.
How to make semiya kesari
- Pour hot water to the pan and increase the flame till the water begins to boil rapidly.
- Next add saffron and cardamom powder.
- Reduce the flame to medium and cook till the semiya is fully cooked.
- If needed you can sprinkle some water if the semiya is under cooked.
- Add sugar and stir gently. Sugar begins to melt and release moisture.
- Cook till all the moisture evaporates and comes to a semi dry consistency.
- Garnish semiya kesari with nuts and raisins. If desired can add a tsp of ghee.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.