navadhanya are offered to navagrahas during puja, homa, house warming and other religious rituals. Sundal called as Guggillu in Telugu is a dish that is often prepared during festivals to offer to God or Goddess. It is usually prepared with various legumes like peanut, chickpeas or black eyed peas depending on the family habits and customs.
We prepare navadhanya sundal called as navadhanyam guggillu during ganesh chathurti and during durga navarathri. These are prepared during the navarathri as naivedhyam especially in the evenings.
In our family, on the day of vinayaka chavithi, we prepare this as a part of the naivedhyam. It is said that apart from the kudumulu, modaks, kadubu, Lord Ganesha also likes Sundals or Guggillu.
We need 9 different dhanyam to prepare this, feel free to use what is available with you. I used sesame seeds. It can be replaced with horse gram (ulavalu / kollu) which is easily available. We do not use garlic, onion or green chili for naivedhyam food.
learn how to make navadhanya sundal from the recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsp Black chana (senagalu / chickpeas)
- 2 tbsp green gram (pesalu / Whole moong)
- 2 tbsp moth bean /Matki / kunkuma pesalu
- 2 tbsp Urad dal (minumulu (minapappu)/ skinned black gram)
- 2 tbsp Rajma (Rajma / red kidney beans)
- 2 tbsp Lobia (alasandalu / black eyed peas)
- 2 tbsp Sesame seeds (nuvvulu)
- 2 tbsp Toor dal (kandhi pappu / pigeon peas (split will do)
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 red chili , broken
- oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak all the legumes overnight in lot of water.
- Wash and drain. Add these to a pressure cooker with enough salt, turmeric and water. Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles.
- When the pressure comes off, drain off excess water if any or cook further to evaporate the water.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard cumin and red chili. When they begin to splutter, add hing and curry leaves. Add grated coconut, sauté and add cooked beans and toss for a min. navadhanya sundal is ready.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.