Oats chivda recipe – A healthy and quick evening snack recipe using oats. Oats chivda can be packed for the kids’ snack box too. Since oats do not give that extra crunch to the chivda, I use them in combination with either poha, cornflakes or puffed rice. I have used organic rolled oats and they are the best to make this chivda.
There is no specific ratio or proportion to follow to make this oats chivda. I used 3/4 cup oats and 1 heaped cup poha. You can alter this to suit your taste. Uncooked oats may not go well for some folks, so adjust as desired. You can also check this Poha chivda recipe
How to make oats chivda or oats mixture
1. Dry roast ¾ cup oats on a medium flame.
2. When they turn slightly golden, Set them aside to a plate.
3. In the same pan, roast 1 cup poha/ beaten rice. If using cornflakes or puffed rice, just skip this and the next step. Add puffed rice or cornflakes at the last step.
4. When poha turns light in texture, transfer them aside to the plate.
5. Heat 1.5 tsp oil in the pan, allow mustard and cumin to crackle. Then add peanuts and broken red chili.
6. When the peanuts are golden fried, add crushed garlic, curry leaves and slit green chili. You can add more or less chilies to suit your taste. Fry all until the garlic is roasted well and curry leaves turn crisp.
7. Add fried gram and dried coconut (copra) pieces (optional). Roast until the coconut smells good. Make sure peanuts are roasted well by now. Switch off the stove.
8. Next add red chili powder, turmeric and salt. Mix every thing well.
Seasoning oats & poha to make oats chivda
9. Add poha and oats to the pan.
10. Mix everything well.
When oats chivda cools completely, I sprinkle little more salt if needed and add 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. It adds good flavor and prevents chivda from being dry.
Just before serving: 2 tbsp of chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, chopped coriander leaves and a bit of lemon juice can also be added to each serving of chivda. Serve immediately otherwise the mixture turns soggy.
Oats chivda recipe
Oats chivda recipe | How to make oats chivda recipe (oats mixture)
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup poha or beaten rice/ attukulu or puffed rice or cornflakes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp peanuts or cashews
- ½ tsp mustard
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 red chili broken
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- 3 to 4 garlic crushed
- 2 to 3 tbsp fried garm or roasted gram or putani
- 2 tbsp dried coconut (copra) thinly sliced & chopped
- salt as needed
- ½ red chili powder as needed
- turmeric as needed
- 1 pinch asafoetida or hing
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- Dry roast oats until slightly golden. They will not turn golden. Set them aside to a plate.
- Next roast poha in the same pan. Keep stirring and fry until crisp and light. Set them aside.
- Heat oil and crackle mustard, cumin and red chili. Roast peanuts until golden.
- Add garlic, green chili and curry leaves.
- When the garlic begins to smell good. add coconut and fried gram.
- Fry until the coconut smells good.
- Add turmeric, chili powder and salt. Switch off the stove.
- Transfer poha and oats. Mix everything well.
- When the mixture cools down, add more salt if needed and pour little coconut or olive oil. Toss them.
- Store oats chivda in a air tight jar and use within 2 weeks.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes