Oats chilla recipe – A quick, healthy and delicious oats recipe for Breakfast under 20 minutes. This oats cheela is similar to Besan ka cheela, spiced pancakes made with chickpea flour. These can be served without any side since it tastes very good on its own. However a Chutney or a sambar compliments the taste. These are best served hot or warm since they begin to loose the crisp texture as they cool.
I have used very little besan / chickpea flour to this oats chilla to add flavor and taste. However you may double the quantity of besan if you are into eating high protein foods.
These are very aromatic and even kids will love them. The aroma of besan comes out when you use ghee for toasting. I sometimes make these as a healthy snack for kids. These cheela can also be served to toddlers over an year, if besan suits your kid’s tummy. This oats chilla is similar to the instant oatmeal uttapam I shared earlier.
For more quick ideas using oats, you can check this collection of 30 oats recipes.
Oats chilla recipe card below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup oats (rolled or instant)
- ¼ cup besan or chickpea flour (replace with semolina)
- 1¼ water or as needed
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera or carom seeds / ajwain
- salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ carrot grated
- 1 small onion about 2 tbsp chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
- 2 tsps Ghee or oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Grease your griddle or tawa and set aside.
- Powder the oat in a blender jar and add it to a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl except oil. Pour water as needed and make a batter that is not very thin or thick.
Make oats chilla
- Heat a pan and pour 1 ladle of batter.
- Spread it gently to a slightly thin pancake and drizzle oil around the edges.
- When cooked, flip it and cook on the other side as well.
- Make sure the oats cheela gets cooked well and brown spots are seen.
- Repeat making the rest.
- Serve oats chilla warm or hot.
Preparation for oats chilla
1. Add 1 cup of oat to a mixie jar.
2. Make a slightly coarse to fine powder.
3. Add it to a mixing bowl along with 1/4 cup besan, cumin/ jeera, salt and turmeric. You can skip turmeric, i used it for the color. You can also use ajwain instead of jeera.
4. Add grated carrots (optional), chopped onions, green chilies and coriander leaves.
5. Pour 1 cup water.
6. Mix to make a batter adding water as needed. I added another ¼ cup this may depend on the kind of oatmeal used. If using rolled oats, you will need about 1 ¼ cup water. Adjust salt as needed.
How to make oats chilla
7. Grease your pan well with oil and heat it. You can heat up this while you make the batter to save some time.
8. Pour 1 ladle full of batter. That was my little kid shaking me.
9. Spread it lightly. Do not spread it too much.
10. Add oil or ghee around the edges. Cook until it sets well. Flip it.
11. Cook until done.
12. Cook well on both the sides. To make it lightly crisp, cook on a medium heat for few minutes. Repeat making the rest. With this batter you will be able to make 6 chilla.
Serve hot or warm.