oats pongal recipe – it is easy to make and barely takes 25 minutes to prepare. This makes a heavy breakfast or a filling dinner on a busy day.
pongal is a south Indian rice and lentil dish often made in most homes. I have already posted a khara pongal recipe here.
If you are looking for healthy Indian oats recipes, this tasty oats pongal could be for you. Roasted oats are cooked with moong dal and seasoned with mild spices and ginger. You can make it healthy by adding spinach, drumstick leaves or methi leaves as well.
You can enjoy this oats pongal with a ginger pickle or ginger chutney or papad or hot curd chilies.
Learn how to make oats pongal recipe in 25 minutes
1. Add oats to a hot pan and dry roast for 5 minutes. keep this aside to cool
2. Wash dal at least twice and cook it with water and salt till soft and mushy. Mushy dal gives a good taste to the oats pongal
3. To the boiling dal, add roasted oats and stir well. If there is not enough water you could add little more.
4. Heat a pan with ghee for seasoning, fry cashews, then add cumin and pepper corn, saute, add ginger and curry leaves. Fry till the ginger becomes fragrant. Add this seasoning to the pongal. stir well
Serve with your favorite chutney or pickle or papads or hot curd chilies
find complete oats pongal recipe below
oats pongal recipe | indian oats recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup moong dal , pesara pappu
- 1 ½ to 2 cups water
- 2 to 4 cashews
- 2 to 4 pepper corn
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp ginger , crushed, chopped or ground
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- ¼ to 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp Ghee or as needed
- 1 Pinch hing
- 1/2 cup spinach or 1/4 cup methi leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
- If using spinach or methi, pluck the leaves and wash them in plenty of water. Drain aside till we use. Dry roast oats for about 5 minutes, set aside
- Wash and Cook dal with salt and 1 ½ cups water till smooth, cooking dal to smooth adds a good taste to the oats pongal
- Add roasted oats and stir. Cook till the oats soften. If needed add more hot or cold water.If using methi leaves or spinach, chop them now. Add it now and cook till they wilt off.
- Meanwhile heat a pan with ghee, add cashews when they are lightly fried, add cumin, pepper and saute, add ginger and curry leaves fry till you get an aroma of ginger. Add turmeric and hing. Pour this seasoning to the cooked pongal.
- Stir well and serve oats pongal while hot or warm with pickle or chutney or papad