Wheatgrass juice recipe – Wheatgrass are the young plants of the wheat berries that are considered to be one among the super foods. Due to the high chlorophyll in wheatgrass, it is said to be one of the best detoxifying greens. It is also effective in preventing cancer by blocking the carcinogenic effects in the human body & keeps the body alkaline where the cancer cells cannot thrive.
The health benefits of wheatgrass are not limited to the above. It also helps in lowering triglycerides & high cholesterol, improves immunity and overall health. It is also said to balance the hormones in women and treat infertility. It is also beneficial to folks suffering from Hypothyroid as it is capable of stimulating the thyroid gland.
Having heard so much about the numerous health benefits of wheatgrass, for over a year hubby and me have been experimenting with cold pressed wheatgrass juice along with many other leafy greens & vegetables. Though we have no health issues, we just started for detoxifying and for alkalizing the body.
Wheatgrass can be consumed in 2 ways, either in the form of juice or powder. We haven’t used the powder anytime as the health benefits are not as much as the fresh grass. Again fresh juice can be consumed in 2 ways in the form of Wheatgrass shots or with mixed fruits. Will share the recipe & health benefits of wheatgrass shots shortly.
How does wheatgrass taste?
It can taste slightly sweet or bitter, depending on the age, where it is grown, the kind of seeds or wheat berries used to grow it.
How does wheatgrass smell?
It smells like the fresh cut grass or the lawn trimmings. This is one of the reasons most people do not like it.
Having experimented a lot, thought of sharing my tips on how to make wheatgrass juice taste delicious. Yes delicious!
How to choose wheatgrass for juicing?
Organic is best, homegrown grass should be the next choice. If you intend to consume for long time, make sure you use either homegrown or organic & locally grown grass.
Does wheatgrass aid in weight loss?
There is no evidence that wheatgrass helps in weight loss but it is great for those trying to loose weight. The nutrient dense wheatgrass juice helps in suppressing the appetite while it provides loads of nutrients like vitamins and minerals. So your weight loss program can go much smoother with 2 shots of wheatgrass juice per day.
Does wheatgrass have any side effects?
Yes, it does have some side effects just like any other greens if consumed in excess. Though wheatgrass is gluten free, folks with gluten intolerance are advised not to consume it due to the possible contaminations. People with allergies or sensitivity to mold need to take extra care in washing & cleaning up the grass.
How to make wheatgrass juice taste delicious
I am sharing only 2 recipes of wheatgrass juice in this post, will be adding more recipes sometime soon.
1. Make sure you choose fresh and young grass to minimize the bitter taste and grass smell.
2. Choose one or more of your favorite fruits for juicing. Our choice of combinations are
Orange, apple and grass
Asian pear, orange and grass
Carrot, orange and grass
Pineapple and grass.
3. Wash the grass well in ample amount of water. I usually sprinkle some sea salt and little water over the grass. Leave for 10 mins and then rinse thoroughly in a large pot of water. Drain in a colander.
4. Do not juice the grass for long time, it begins to oxidize and smell stronger. It also alters the taste.
5. A cold press juicer is best, but a blender too works well. The juice extracted in a slow or cold press juicer is not diluted so it tastes much superior to the juice made in blender
Initially do not use more than 30 grams of grass per day. Later based on your tolerance levels It can be increased.
Wheatgrass juice recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 30 grams wheatgrass
- 1 apple medium to small , (Sweet tasting)
- 1 to 2 oranges large , (Sweet tasting)
- 30 grams wheatgrass
- 1 to 1½ cups pineapple chunks
- ginger small piece
- Wash the fruits well. If not using organic produce, peel the fruits. Cut them as desired.
- Wash the wheatgrass a few times thoroughly.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender jar and run the blender. If needed you may need to add more juice or water.
- Pass it through a strainer.
- If making in a slow juicer skip the above 2 steps and add all the ingredients to the chute. Juice them.
- Consume immediately.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes