Overnight Oats Recipe | Dates Nut Overnight Oats
Overnight Oats Recipe – Quick and easy oats recipe for busy mornings. Overnight oats is made just by soaking the oatmeal in milk or juice, resting it overnight in the fridge and then topped with favorite ingredients like fruits, nuts, seeds, chocolate etc. Since this is a no cook recipe, it can be prepared under 5 minutes.
It can be a great wholesome breakfast to those who do not have enough time to cook and it will keep you going till the mid day. This is similar to the milk poha we usually make at home. The recipe shared here is a very simple one and can be experimented with different toppings to suit your taste.
Overnight oats is usually made in air tight mason jars as it is convenient to carry to work as well. If you do not have one, you can make it in a bowl as well. It is mostly served cold but can be heated as well in a microwave on low watts. But the cold ones is great for summers.
You may like to check more oats recipes,
Oat egg omelette in 10 mins
Oats chilla in 20 mins
How to Make Overnight Oats
1. Add half cup rolled or ¾ cup quick oats to the jar. Quick ones are precooked and dehydrated, so if possible use rolled oats. But the nutrition in rolled and quick variety is almost the same.
2. Pour milk just enough to immerse them. You can use any vegan milk too like organic soya, coconut or almond milk. You can use any fresh fruit juice too instead of milk.
3. I prefer to add in some nut since soaking enhances the nutrition. You can add any of your favorite nuts. I added few broken walnuts.
4. Add some chopped dates. Top with little more milk. You can skip dates and add any sweetener.
5. Cover and refrigerate over night or at least for 4 hours.
6. The next morning all the ingredients are soaked well.
7. You can add your favorite toppings. I like to add some fresh grated coconut. You can also use some frozen coconut.
8. Then lot of chopped nuts, seeds and then few more chopped dates. I used some pumpkin seeds, almonds and dates. You can even add some choco chips, chopped chocolate, sesame seeds or sunflower seeds.
Half cup of rolled oat with half cup of toppings go well for us. You can use however you like.
Overnight Oats Recipe | Dates Nut Overnight Oats Recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rolled or ¾ quick cook oats
- Milk or fresh fruit juice as needed (can use vegan milk)
- 1 handful almonds Chopped Nuts or seeds (almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds)
- sweetener or dates as needed (6 to 8)
- 2 to 3 tbsp coconut Grated, (fresh or frozen)
- Add oat and milk to a jar. Add half of the nuts and dates. Top with little more milk to immerse the ingredients.
- Refrigerate overnight or at least for 4 hours.
- Just before serving, add coconut and the rest of the nuts, seeds and dates.
- Serve with in 2 hours of taking out from the refrigerator.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
This website has everything, the variety is simply wonderful. I look for one recipes and I end up finding so many more. I have bookmarked your website, it is my go-to for simple yet delicious recipes.
Thank you so much Mita
Glad to know you liked the blog. Hope you will enjoy the foods.
Hi swasthi I tried making this a few times but each time the oats tasted starchy and also had a starchy after taste for a long time. I used true organic brand of rolled oats. What could be the reason?
That’s how the overnight oats taste. Rolled oats are already steamed like indian poha so they can be eaten raw. I guess you didn’t like the taste of raw oats. You should try cooked recipes.
I tried the Brinjal receipe. I was excellent
Hey i love your site keep d good work…i have a ques
for overnight oats can we use steel cut oats?
Thank you. A lot of people eat steel cut oats uncookd by soaking them in milk or water overnight. But it may cause stomach upset and long term digestion issues. Instead you can soak them, cook and then soak them again with milk and follow the recipe. Hope this helps.
This oats recipe is actually good! I am soon going to try this out. I have ordered oats from organic garden and I am surely going to try it out.
Do try it Megha