Masala oats recipe – We love the non-sticky and non-mushy version of the oats upma that is made with rolled oats. This masala oats is a recent addition to our quick fix dinner menu. It can be served alone without any accompaniment but is best with papad, chutney, podi or raita. This masala oats turns non mushy if made with rolled oats, if made with quick cook oats it turns mushy and can also be made to a porridge consistency.
Masala oats recipe card below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup veggies (carrots, peas, beans etc)
- 2 tomatoes medium sized
- 1 onion thinly sliced medium
- 1 cup oats
- ¾ cup water (adjust as needed)
- Salt as needed
- 1 pinch Turmeric
- Oil as needed
- ½ to ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 to 2 green chilies
- ¼ to ½ tsp Garam masala powder or pav bhaji masala
- ¼ tsp coriander powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- Coriander leaves as needed
- Dry roast oats until golden or they begin to smell good. Set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add cumin and allow to crackle.
- Sauté ginger garlic until the raw smell goes off.
- Add onions and fry until they turn slightly golden or pink.
- Saute veggies for 2 to 3 mins. Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn completely mushy.
- Add chili powder, garam masala or pav bhaji masala and coriander powder.
- Mix and fry for 2 to 3 minutes until it smells good.
- Add water and bring it to a boil.
- Add oats and stir well.
- Cover and cook. If needed add more or less water to adjust the consistency.
- Add coriander leaves.
- Drizzle some ghee over the hot masala oats. Serve it as it is or with podi, chutney or raita.
To make it to a porridge consistency, you may need to triple the quantity of water mentioned in the recipe card. That works perfectly well for me.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
How to make oats masala
Please follow the recipe card for detailed instructions.