Pasta payasam recipe – I heard of pasta payasam for the first time from my kids when they had it in a kids’ party in the neighbourhood. It didn’t sound so good to me and never thought of trying it until my kids demanded for it during their holidays. I tried it a few times and arrived at this recipe which yielded me really creamy thick and delicious pasta kheer made with Jaggery.
To make this Macaroni payasam, I have used jaggery as the sweetener and rice flour for thickening the kheer. Either milk has to be boiled until it reduces and thickens or a thickening agent like flour has to be used to make it taste creamy. I am not patient enough to boil the milk for long so I used rice flour. Other substitutes can be arrowroot powder or corn starch. If you like thin kheer, then halve the quantity of rice flour in the recipe.
This pasta payasam recipe takes about 30 mins and is easy to make. I am sure kids will love this as their after school snack or as a dessert in kids’ parties. It can also be served to toddlers.
How to make pasta payasam
1. Bring 4 cups of water to a rapid boil in a pot.
2. Add macaroni and cook for 2 to 3 mins until you begin to see the starch. Drain them and set aside.
3. Heat ghee or butter in a pot and fry cashews until golden. Add raisins, when they puff up set these aside along with ghee.
4. Pour milk and bring it to a boil on a medium heat. The brown particles are from the butter I used for frying the cashews,
5. When the milk begins to boil, add pasta.
6. Cook until completely done.
7. Lower the flame and take rice flour in a cup.
8. Add water or milk. Mix it well to prevent lumps. Pour that stirring slowly to the pot.
9. Cook until the pasta payasam thickens.
10. Crush the cardamom seeds and add it. Adjust the consistency now by adding more milk if desired. When cooled it turns quite thick so adjust it now as needed.
11. Add your sweetener. You can use organic sugar or jaggery. I have used cooled raw jaggery syrup. You can find the details on how I make jaggery syrup at home here. Make sure you use cooled jaggery syrup otherwise the pasta kheer will curdle.
12. Switch off the stove if using jaggery syrup. If using sugar cook until the sugar melts completely. Do not cook further after adding jaggery to prevent curdling. Add the nuts and left over ghee.
Serve warm or cold. Note: Pasta kheer thickens upon cooling down, you can add more milk to bring it to a thin consistency. But do not boil further after adding jaggery. To heat up, do it on a low flame.
Garnish with pista, cashews and raisisn.
Pasta payasam recipe
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup macaroni / pasta
- 2 cups milk (¼ to ½ cup more if needed)
- ¼ cup jaggery syrup or ½ to ¾ cup grated jaggery or organic sugar
- 2 green cardamoms / elaichi seeds crushed finely
- 1 tbsp butter or ghee
- Cashews and raisins as desired
- 1 ½ tbsp rice flour mixed with ¼ cup milk or water
- Find the instructions in the step by step guide below.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes