Schezwan noodles recipe with steps to make your own instant schezwan sauce. Schezwan noodles is an immensely popular Indo chinese dish served in Indian Chinese restaurants. These are the most flavorful, spicy & hot noodles made using Szechuan sauce. In this post I have also shared how to make your own sauce for this recipe. So you don’t need the bottled sauce here.
Ingredients like ginger, garlic, soya sauce, vinegar, red chilli paste & sichuan pepper corn are used to make the spicy sauce. The store bought sauce usually has loads of other additives, artificial taste enhancers and preservatives.
Many restaurants usually make these without much veggies. Some onions and bell peppers is all that is used. So you can skip veggies like carrots.
To make schezwan noodles, you can use any kind of noodles you prefer. Usually, the regular round noodles are used. But I have used the flat ones since this is what I had. You can also use soba, udon or rice noodles here.
Just ensure you follow the instructions on the pack for cooking time. You can also make the sauce in advance from this Schezwan sauce post. If you have it handy, just stir it with some boiled noodles on a high flame.
1. Chop the veggies you desire to use along with garlic, ginger and onions. Set these aside.
2. Bring water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Do not overcook them.
3. Drain to a colander and rinse. Add a tsp of oil if desired and toss well. Set aside.
4. Make a red chili paste by adding red chili powder to a small bowl. Add few tsps of water to make a thick chilli paste. Please note that the red chili powder must be of good quality and less hot. You can also soak deseeded kashmiri red chilies and blend them to a paste.
5. Heat a pan with oil, Saute ginger, garlic until they turn aromatic.
6. Add finely chopped onions. Saute until they turn golden.
7. Add the red chili paste, tomato sauce (optional) and very little salt.
8. Then add soya sauce and sugar.
9. Add Vinegar. Saute all of these until you smell them good.
10. Add 2 tbsp water. Mix well. Add crushed sichuan pepper, you can replace it with pepper.
11. Cook until the oil begins to separate. Set this aside.
how to make schezwan noodles
12. In restaurants, broken red chilies are used to make schezwan noodles or fried rice. If you like that, you can fry the red chilies first until crisp at this stage. Add spring onion whites and saute for 1 minute.
Add chopped veggies and saute until on the highest flame until they are half cooked yet crunchy.
13. Add the sauce we kept aside & the noodles. Fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 minutes and then add spring onion greens.
14. Add more oil and salt if needed.
Serve schezwan noodles hot.
This recipe can also be used to make spicy egg noodles. Just beat an egg and pour it to the pan once the veggies are fried. Scramble & fry until the egg is cooked completely. Increase the amount of soya sauce, vinegar and chilli. You can also use boiled egg or shrimps.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 to 3 cakes noodles (or 2 serving size, 160 to 180 grams)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil or sesame oil
- 2 dried red chilies broken
- 1 ¼ cup mixed vegetables chopped ( carrots, capsicum,beans, mushrooms)
- 2 sprigs spring onions ( separate greens and whites)
For the sauce or use 1½ tbsp schezwan sauce
- 1½ tablespoons red chili paste or 15 to 20 red chillies or red chilli powder
- 1 to 1½ tablespoon tomato sauce (optional)
- ¾ tablespoon garlic chopped finely
- ¾ tablespoon ginger chopped finely
- 1 onion medium sized , chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon salt (adjust as needed)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce (naturally brewed)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sichuan pepper powder (or ground black pepper)
- 2 tablespoon celery chopped, optional
- Bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a rolling boil in a pot.
- Add the noodles and cook al dente. Follow the instructions on the pack for exact cook time.
- When they are done, drain them to a colander and rinse under running water. Drain well.
- Drizzle 1 tsp oil and run your fingers through the noodles to keep them non-sticky.
- While the noodles cook make red chili paste. Soak red chilies in hot water until soft. Blend to make a smooth paste. or Mix chili powder with little water to make a thick paste.
- Next rinse and chop all the veggies.
Make sauce or use ready made as needed
- Pour 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and heat it on a high flame.
- Saute ginger and garlic until they smell good.
- Then saute the onions until golden. If using celery add it and saute for 2 mins.
- Reduce the flame. Add red chili paste, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, soya sauce and vinegar. Saute until a nice smell comes out.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp water and sichuan pepper. Next mix well. Fry until the oil separates.
- Taste the sauce and add more red chilli paste, soya or salt to suit your taste. Keep this aside in a plate.
How to make schezwan noodles
- Pour another tablespoon oil and heat it on a high flame. Add the red chilies and saute until crisp. Then add spring onion whites and saute for a minute.
- Fry veggies until half done yet crunchy.
- Add the noodles, schezwan sauce and spring onion greens.
- Mix and Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Next add more oil and salt if needed.
- Serve veg schezwan noodles hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
The recipe shared above makes 2 servings, please do not gauge the quantity of ingredients in the step by step photos since I had doubled the recipe here.
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes