Schezwan noodles recipe with instant sauce – Schezwan noodles are a popular spicy Indo chinese dish often found in Indo Chinese restaurants. It is flavored with spicy hot sauces and sichuan pepper. To make this usually boiled noodles are tossed in already prepared schezwan sauce. In this post I have shared making instant schezwan sauce for the noodles since most of you may not have the ready sauce available.
You can use any kind of noodles like soba, udon or rice noodles. Just follow the instructions on the pack for cooking time. You can also make the sauce in advance from this Schezwan sauce post. If you have it handy all you need to do is just stir it with some boiled noodles on a high flame.
This recipe can also be used to make spicy egg noodles, just beat an egg and pour it to the pan once the veggies are fried. Fry until the egg is cooked completely. You can use little more of the sauce, vinegar and chilli if using egg. You can also use boiled egg in this recipe after step 11.
The recipe shared here makes 2 servings, please do not gauge the quantity of ingredients in the step by step photos since i had doubled the recipe when i made it.
veg schezwan noodles recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 cakes noodles (or 2 serving size)
- 2 to 3 tbsp olive oil or sesame oil
- 1 ¼ cup mixed vegetables chopped ( carrots, capsicum,beans, mushrooms)
- 2 sprigs spring onions ( separate greens and whites)
For the sauce or use ready made schezwan sauce
- ¾ to 1 ¼ tbsp red chili paste or red chili powder (less spicy, use as needed)
- 2 tbsp celery chopped, optional
- 1 tsp garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 tsp ginger chopped finely
- 1 onion medium sized , chopped finely
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp soya sauce (naturally brewed)
- ½ to ¾ tsp vinegar
- ½ tsp sichuan pepper crushed or regular pepper corn crushed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for schezwan noodles
- Firstly cook noodles in boiling water until aldente. Do not over cook. Drain and rinse them well.
- Add little oil and toss them.
- While the noodles cook make red chili paste. Soak red chilies in water until soft. Blend to make a smooth paste. or Mix chili powder with little water to make a thick paste.
- Next wash and chop all the veggies.
Make sauce or use ready made as needed
- Saute ginger and garlic in oil. Fry onions until golden.
- If using celery add it and saute for 2 mins.
- Add red chili paste, salt, sugar, soya sauce and vinegar.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp water and pepper. Next mix well. Fry until the oil separates. Keep this aside in a plate.
How to make schezwan noodles
- Pour little more oil and fry veggies along with spring onion whites o a high flame. Fry them until half cooked but crunchy.
- Add the noodles, sauce and spring onion greens..
- Mix and Fry for 2 to 3 mins. Next add more oil and salt if needed.
- Serve veg schezwan noodles hot.
Preparation for veg schezwan noodles
1. Chop the veggies you desire to use along with garlic and onions. Set these aside.
2. Bring water to a rolling boil in a large pot. Add the noodles and cook until al dente.
3. Drain to a colander and rinse. Add a tsp of oil and toss well. Set aside.
4. Make a red chili paste by adding red chili powder to a small bowl. Add few tsps of water to make a thick chilli paste. Please note that the red chili powder must be of good quality and less hot. You can also soak deseeded kashmiri red chilies and blend them to a paste.
Making sauce for veg schezwan noodles
5. Heat a pan with oil, Saute ginger, garlic until they turn aromatic. In restaurants, one can find broken red chilies in schezwan noodles or fried rice. If you like that, you can saute them until crisp and set aside. Add them to the pan along with noodles at the end.
6. Add finely chopped onions. Saute until they turn golden.
7. Add the red chili paste and very little salt.
8. Then add soya sauce and sugar.
9. Add Vinegar.
10. Add 1 tbsp water. Mix well. Add crushed sichuan pepper, you can replace it with pepper.
11. Cook until the oil begins to separate. Set this aside.
how to make schezwan noodles
12. Add chopped veggies to the empty pan and saute until they are half cooked.
13. Add the sauce we kept aside, noodles and spring onion greens. Fried red chilies can be added now if you have kept it aside from step 5.
14. Add more oil and salt if needed. Fry on a high flame for 2 to 3 mins.
Serve schezwan noodles hot.