South Indian egg curry recipe – learn how to make egg curry to pair with rice, biryani, pulao, roti, chapathi or plain paratha. Eggs are one of the most versatile & healthy foods that can be put to use in numerous ways. Making a egg curry is the simplest and most loved by many. The recipe shared here will give you a simple, quick, hot, spicy and delicious egg curry.
Each region has their own way of making egg curry in the regional style. Potatoes, drumsticks, coconut milk, fresh coconut and yogurt are some of the taste enhancers used based on the region. In most recipes, the basic ingredients like onions, tomatoes and spices remain the same.
South Indian egg curry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 eggs boiled
- 2 tbsps oil
- ½ to ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 to 2 sprigs curry leaves or kadi patta or mint or pudina
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1 ¼ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped or pureed
- 8 cashews or 4 tbsps of coconut (optional)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¾ tsp red chili powder or lal mirch powder
- ¾ to 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder or daniya powder
- Salt as needed (I used more than ½ tsp)
- ¾ to 1 cup Water or as needed
- 3 tbsp Coriander leaves or cilantro chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut milk (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for egg curry
- Peel the boiled eggs and make few gashes over each egg. Keep these aside.
- You can use chopped tomatoes in the recipe. Or make a smooth puree of tomatoes and cashews (or coconut). Set this aside.
How to make egg curry
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and allow to splutter.
- Then add curry leaves. When they begin to splutter, add onions and green chilies.
- Keep stirring and fry until the onions turn golden to light brown.
- When the onions turn golden, add ginger garlic paste. Saute till the raw smell of the garlic has gone.
- Pour the tomato puree. Saute for a while until the tomatoes and onions blend well.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric, salt, garam masala and coriander powder.
- Mix well. Cook for a few minutes till the mixture begins to smell good. The raw smell must go away.
- Add the eggs and fry for 2 minutes stirring gently.
- Pour water just enough to make a gravy.
- Cover the pan and Cook on a medium heat.
- Within minutes the gravy turns thick and traces of oil appear over the curry.
- If needed add more salt.
- This step is optional. If using coconut milk, pour it and stir in. Do not cook for long after adding coconut milk.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves. Turn off the stove.
- Serve egg curry with plain rice or chapathi.
Video of egg curry recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Preparation for egg curry recipe
1. If you are a new cook and don’t know how to boil eggs, here are the steps. Wash and place the eggs in a pot, half filled with water. The water should be little more than to cover them.
Boil the eggs on a medium heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. Continue to cook for another 3 to 4 mins until you see cracks over the shells. Turn off the stove. Allow the water to cool down. Drain and add fresh water to the pot. Peel the boiled eggs and make few gashes over each egg. Keep these aside.
2. While the eggs boil, chop onions very finely. Set aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil.
4. When the oil is hot enough, add cumin. Allow it to splutter and add curry leaves or mint.
5. Add onions and chilies. Saute well till they turn golden.
6. This step is optional. If you are okay with chunky masala then just use chopped tomatoes. While the onions fry, add tomatoes and cashews to a blender jar. You can also substitute cashews with fresh coconut or just skip them. Make a smooth puree. Keep this aside.
7. When the onions turn golden, add ginger garlic paste.
8. Saute well till the raw smell goes away.
9. Add the tomato cashew puree.
10. Saute well for about 3 to 4 mins. The onion tomato mixture blends well.
How to make egg curry
11. Add chili powder, salt, turmeric, garam masala and coriander powder.
12. Fry all these till the raw smell goes away. The mixture comes together as well at this stage.
13. Add eggs and saute for 2 mins. Be gentle and don’t break the eggs. You can also move the masala aside and add little oil to the pan. Fry the eggs until golden.
14. Pour water just enough to make a gravy. I used about 3/4 to 1 cup.
15. Do not add too much water as the gravy can turn runny.
16. Cover and cook until the gravy turns thick. Check salt and add more if needed.
17. When the curry is done, you will see the gravy turns thick with traces of oil over it. If you wish to add coconut milk, pour it now. Give a quick stir and turn off.
Do not over cook as eggs turn hard. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve egg curry with rice, roti or chapathi.