tomato egg curry or easy spicy andhra egg curry recipe – Eggs are a wonderful source of protein and can be used to dish up a quick side for a meal. Today I will share how to make egg curry with tomato gravy. This curry can be made spicy using a good strong garam masala powder to get that hint of spice. It can as well be prepared without any garam masala powder and ginger garlic paste , but i have used a light garam masala and that is optional.
In andhra cuisine, we don’t use onion or tomato paste, the recipes are kept simple without grinding onions and tomatoes. This is an easy egg curry recipe that where every thing is just chopped and used.
Boiled eggs are just simmered in onion tomato gravy and then thick coconut milk is added at the end, which is optional. After adding the coconut milk the gravy is not cooked anymore. The taste and aroma of this egg masala is very different from tomato egg curry.All have distinct taste and flavors.
tomato egg curry best goes with steamed rice or even with phulka, chapathi or paratha.
find more egg curry recipes,
find tomato egg curry recipe below
tomato egg curry
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 eggs , boiled (pierce them with fork randomly)
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 1 green chili chopped or slit
- ½ to ¾ cup tomatoes , ripe , chopped finely
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup coconut milk , Thick (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves , pinch of mustard, ¼ tsp cumin
- Oil as needed
- garam masala , very little or coriander powder (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Heat a pan with oil, add curry leaves, cumin, mustard.
- When the spices crackle, add onions and fry till they become lightly pink.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and fry till they turn very soft
- Pierce eggs with a fork and add them to the pan along with red chili powder and garam masala.
- Fry till the mix becomes fragrant for about 2 minutes
- Add water , just enough to cover the eggs partially
- Cook covered till the tomatoes blend well. The curry must become thick. If it is runny evaporate the water by cooking further for a while on a high flame
- Add coconut milk, Switch off the stove. Do not cook further, thick coconut milk will curdle the gravy. Mix well and serve andhra tomato egg curry. Garnish with coriander leaves if you desire.
step by step photos on how to make tomato egg curry or andhra egg curry
1. Add oil to a pan and heat up. When the oil is hot, add curry leaves, cumin and mustard.
2. When they begin to splutter, add onions and fry till they turn pink. They must not become golden.
3. Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and fry till they turn mushy. Pierce the eggs with fork
4. Add eggs, red chili powder and garam masala, if you like.
5. On a low flame, fry till the mix becomes fragrant
6. Add very little water , just enough to cover the eggs partially
7. Cover and cook till the tomatoes blend well. The curry must be thick and not runny
8. Add coconut milk, off the heat. Do not cook further, thick coconut milk could curdle the gravy. Mix well and serve.