Tomato Egg Curry
Tomato Egg Curry is a simple and quick curried dish made with hard boiled eggs, onions, plenty of tomatoes, spices and herbs. It goes well with plain rice, roti, dosa or with any kind of Indian flatbreads like naan, rotti, or bhakri. This Tomato egg curry is a staple in many Telugu speaking homes and is made in so many ways. This simple to make curry is minimally spiced but most of the flavors come from the tomatoes and coconut milk which is optional.
Indians love their egg curry and can’t do without having it often. This Dhaba style Egg Curry is the most popular on the highway dhabas all over India. It is also served in a lot of North Indian restaurants as Punjabi egg curry.
Tomato egg curry on the contrary tastes completely different from the Punjabi egg curry, which is heavy on the spice level and oil. This recipe is an everyday curry and uses South Indian ingredients like curry leaves for the South Indian classic flavors.
In this tomato egg curry, onions are not browned or cooked to golden. But instead sautéed only till they loose the raw flavor. This gives the curry a different chunky texture and the cooked onions are delicious.
If you do not get curry leaves where you live, simply skip them and add lots of coriander leaves towards the end. Alternately you may use an Indian bay leaf to substitute curry leaves.
More Egg Curry Recipes
Chettinad Egg Curry
Easy Egg Roast.
How to Make Tomato Egg Curry
1. Add oil to a pan and heat up. When the oil is hot, add cumin and mustard seeds. When they begin to splutter, add curry leaves and crushed or chopped garlic. Let the garlic fry for a minute.
2. Add onions and green chilies. Fry till they turn pink. You don’t need to cook them till golden but they must lose the raw flavor.
3. Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and fry till they turn mushy. Pierce the eggs with fork to make some incisions so they absorb the flavors.
4. Add eggs, red chili powder and garam masala.
5. On a low flame, fry till the mix becomes fragrant and the tomatoes break down to a mushy texture.
6. Add very little water , just enough to partially cover the eggs.
7. Cover and cook till the curry turns thick and the onions are soft cooked.
8. Add coconut milk, off the heat. Do not cook further, thick coconut milk could curdle the gravy. Taste test and add more salt if required. Mix well and serve.
Tomato Egg Curry
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 boiled eggs
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed or 1 tablespoon chopped)
- 1 green chili chopped or slit
- ¾ cup tomatoes , ripe , chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ cup coconut milk (Thick milk, optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 tablespoon Oil (or as needed)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon garam masala (adjust to taste)
How To Make Tomato Egg Curry
- Heat a pan with oil on a medium flame. Once the oil turns hot, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When the spices crackle, add curry leaves and garlic. Fry for about a minute.
- Add onions and green chilli. Fry till the onions become lightly pink. They should lose the raw flavor.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric, salt and fry till the tomatoes turn very soft and mushy.
- Pierce eggs with a fork and add them to the pan along with red chili powder and garam masala.
- Fry till the mixture becomes fragrant for about 2 minutes.
- Add water , just enough to partially cover the eggs. Mix well & bring it to a boil. Lower the heat.
- Cook covered till the curry becomes thick and the onions are soft cooked. If it is runny evaporate the water by cooking further for a while on a high flame.
- Add coconut milk, Switch off the stove. Do not cook further, thick coconut milk may curdle. Mix well and taste test. Add more salt if required.
- Serve tomato egg curry with rice or roti or naan. Garnish with coriander leaves if you desire.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Tomato Egg Curry first published in January 2014. Updated and republished in July 2022.
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Hello I’m Sweety I want boiled egg masala curry
You can check the recipe here – Egg masala
I was scavenging for a good egg recipe and found this one yesterday. Followed your steps and wow I had a great meal today! Thankyou soo much. An easy to follow recipe and a tasty one too.
Totally worth it. ?
You are welcome. Glad to know you liked it. Thanks for the feedback
wow,what a recipe. khub bhalo.
Gravy is absolutely tempting,yummy egg curry
Looks really appetizing and delicious dear :)<br />
I would love to have this yummy egg curry with appam!! So quick and easy curry!
lovely curry. Would love to have it with roti.