Egg pulusu recipe – An easy egg stew known as kodi guddu pulusu in telugu. It is made without tomatoes. But tastes tangy, spicy and hot. Egg pulusu pairs well with rice or chapati. These Indian Egg recipes are a real stand by when you do not have much time and patience to cook an elaborate meal.
Eggs can be used to prepare a variety of dishes like egg bhurji, hot and spicy egg curry, egg masala, egg biryani, egg fried rice, and egg fried noodles and even an Egg Pulusu.
Egg pulusu can even be paired up with some vegetables like potato or drumsticks. Today’s pulusu can be prepared just as it is only with egg. It can be paired with drumsticks or potatoes too. They are cooked in a spicy and tangy stew which is thickened by tamarind. Most people like to use jaggery in pulusu but I have not used.
Pulusu can be prepared even with vegetables like okra, bottle gourd, potatoes, drumsticks etc. Pulusu does not need any garam masala or ginger garlic paste. While some folks add crushed garlic while the pulusu is boiling.
I have seen some egg pulusu recipes call for rice flour for thickening. We do not like a pulusu that way. So we just add coriander and cumin powder sometimes.To get a bright color pulusu like you see in the picture, do not use coriander or cumin powder.
Egg pulusu or kodi guddu pulusu recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup onions chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- ¼ tsp mustard
- 1 Pinch fenugreek seeds (methi) (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (or haldi)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp jaggery or sugar as needed (optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- tamarind Small lemon sized ball
- ½ to ¾ tsp Coriander powder (optional)
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder (optional)
- Soak tamarind in hot water and filter the pulp to remove impurities
- Heat a deep pan with oil.
Making egg pulusu or kodi guddu pulusu
- Add mustard,methi and cumin, when they splutter add curry leaves and sauté until crisp.
- Add onions and green chili, sprinkle salt and fry till they turn pink
- Add eggs, coriander and cumin powder,red chili powder, turmeric, salt. Fry for 2 mins on medium. Pour the tamarind pulp. Mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 mins. If you wish you can add a tbsp. jaggery or sugar now.
- Pour enough water to partially cover the eggs .
- Mix and simmer for atleast 5 to 8 mins. Adjust the salt and tamarind.
- Off the heat and add coriander leaves. Serve egg pulusu with rice or chapathi.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes