Steel cut oats khichdi – Simple, quick, delicious, healthy one pot lentil & steel cut oats recipe. Whole oat groats, Instant oatmeal, rolled oats & steel cut oats are some of the types available in the market. All of these have nearly the same nutrition profile except the whole groats & steel cuts have twice the amount of fiber than the rolled oats & Instant oats.
Whole groats & the steel cut variety are the least processed. So they have extra fiber which helps the tummy to keep full for longer as it digests slowly. These are healthy & great for everone including those aiming for weight loss.
This lentil & steel cut oats recipe will give you a bowl of delicious khichdi that can also be served to toddlers or kids. A bowl of salad, pickle or papads go well as sides.
Steel cut oats recipe
Steel cut oats khichdi recipe | Lentil & steel cut oats recipe
Quick, healthy and delicious one pot dish made using skinned split mung beans and steel cut oats.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ¼ cup steel cut oats
- ¼ cup moong dal (or skinned split mung beans)
- 1 tbsp ghee (or clarified butter or oil)
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- ¼ piece bay leaf (optional, tej patta)
- ¾ tsp ginger paste (or grated, adrak)
- 2 pinches turmeric (or haldi)
- ½ tsp salt (use as needed)
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder (or pepper powder or green chili)
- 2 tbsps onions (chopped)
- 1 medium tomato (chopped finely)
- ¼ cup mix vegetables (optional, carrots, beans)
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch hing (or asafoetida)
How to make the recipe
Wash oats and dal few times. Soak till the veggies are chopped.
Add ghee to a pressure cooker and heat it.
Add cumin and bay leaf. When the cumin splutters, add hing
Add onions and fry until they turn pink or golden.
Add ginger paste. Fry for a minute.
Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt
Fry until the tomatoes turn mushy.
Add red chili powder. Saute until the raw smell of chilli goes away.
Add veggies. Fry for a minute or two.
Drain the oats and dal. Add them to the cooker.
Fry for 2 mins.
Pour water. Give a good mix and check the salt. If needed add more.
Cover the lid and pressure cook on a medium heat for 2 to 3 whistles. I cook for 2 whistles.
Let the pressure go down. Open the lid and stir well
Serve steel cut oats khichdi hot or warm.
How to make steel cut oats khichdi
1. Add oats and dal to a cooker.
2. Wash a few times and drain. Soak in water till the veggies are chopped. It is good to soak steel cut oats in a large bowl with little yogurt or whey added to it. Soaking for at least overnight reduces the amount of phytates to some extent in the oats.
3. Drain and set aside.
4. Add ghee to the cooker and heat it.
5. Add bay leaf and cumin.
6. When the cumin splutters, add hing.
7. Add onions and fry until they turn pink or golden.
8. Add ginger paste. Saute just for a minute.
9. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
10. Saute until tomatoes turn soft & mushy. Add red chili powder. Saute for another 1 minute.
11. Add chopped veggies. I have used capsicum. It may not go well with all. So you can skip it you don’t like the flavor. Saute the veggies for 2 mins.
12. Add oats & dal. Saute for 2 mins.
13. Pour water. Stir and check the salt. If needed add more.
14.Cover the cooker. Pressure cook on a medium heat for 2 to 3 whistles. I cooked for 2.
15. When the pressure goes down, open the lid. Give a good stir.
Serve steel cut oats khichdi with pickle, papad or salad.