Oats uttapam recipe or oats uthappam – Uttapam is a thick pancake made with fermented batter usually made of lentil and rice. You can find the basic south Indian uttapam recipe here which is usually made of left over plain or masala dosa batter. We use oats at least 3 to 4 times a week for making different foods like dosa, porridge, upma, pongal, khichdi, masala oats, sambar oats, pulihora.
Most of these easy oats recipes are a good alternate to an elaborate meal. There are a few different ways i make oats uttapam, sharing all of them. You can use any kind of oats. If using rolled oats, powder them and use. If using quick cook oats with rice flour, they can be used without powdering too.
In the first method of instant oats uttapam, rice flour or sooji (semolina) has to be used for a good binding and crispness. I have made this without curd/ yogurt, if you like a sour taste, curd can also be used. More details in the recipe below.
Method 1 – how to make instant oats uttapam
1. Add half cup quick cook oats or rolled oats to a bowl along with ¼ th cup rice flour or sooji, salt. If using rolled oats, measure half cup first and then powder it. I used quickcookoats so did not powder. If using sooji instead of rice flour, then powder the oats.
2. Add 2 tbsp. curd/ yogurt or 1.5 tsp lemon juice along with a pinch of soda. Pour enough water to make a batter of pouring consistency. Stir well. Rest for 5 mins.
3. Grease and heat a pan/ tawa. Pour a laddle full of batter and lightly spread it. Usually uttapam are made thick, but here oats may lend a sticky texture, so make them medium thick. Add chopped onions, carrots, coriander and green chilies. You can also add deseeded tomatoes, thinly sliced capsicums. Press with a wooden spoon gently.
4. When the base is cooked firm, flip it and cook for a while.
5. Flip it to the other side, Fry for a while on a low flame for the uttapam to turn crisp. If you have any pickle or chutney podi, you can sprinkle evenly. I like to use flax seed podi.
Serve with any chutney or pickle.
Oats uttapam recipe | How to make oats uthappam for breakfast
Healthy oats uttapam for a quick breakfast or dinner. Serve it with chutney or pickle.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- ½ cup oats (rolled or quick cook)
- ¼ cup rice flour or sooji
- 2 tbsp curd or yogurt or 1.5 tsps lemon juice + pinch of soda
- salt as needed
- water as needed
Veggies as needed
- 2 tbsp onions chopped
- 2 tbsp carrots grated
- 2 tbsp tomatoes
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation for oats uttapam
- If using rolled oats, powder them. If using sooji instead of rice, powder the oats. Add flours, salt, yogurt or lemon juce + soda to a bowl. Mix together with water to make a batter similar to the dosa batter consistency. Rest for 5 mins.
Chop all the veggies and set aside.
How to make oats uttapam
- Heat a greased tawa, pour a ladle of batter and spread a bit.
- Top with veggies, gently press them.
- Cook until the base is done well. Flip and cook well on the other side as well.
Serve oats uttapam with any chutney or pickle.
Method 2 – oats uttapam using dosa batter
Oats uttapam can also be made using any left over dosa batter. Every week I am usually left with little batter after making dosa, i use up that to make different kinds of uttapam. I make dosa using 1: 3 (dal:rice) ratio. For 1 cup of thin dosa batter, i add half cup of quickoats and mix well. If needed i also use more water to bring it to a pouring consistency. The dosas turn out very good, tasty and delicious too. These make a super quick and nice breakfast or can be had as a after school snack.
1. Add dosa batter to a bowl.
2. Add quick cookoats and little salt.
3. Add water as needed to bring it to the right pouring consistency.
4. Pour a ladle full of batter on a hot pan. Spread it to suit your liking. Add chopped veggies. I made this using only carrot.
5. Sprinkled sesame seeds spice powder.