Mayonnaise sandwich recipe under 10 minutes. Make this ultimate veg mayo sandwich with crisp toasted bread, crunchy veggies, creamy mayo and spices to flavor up. This recipe makes the best breakfast sandwich that is super-fast to make on a busy morning. Mayonnaise sandwiches are most commonly served in eateries, cafes & fast food chains. These are made in numerous ways and tagged with different names.
About this recipe
This is a simplest recipe for mayonnaise sandwich made with minimal ingredients like bread, vegetables, spices and herbs which are mostly pantry staples. These sandwiches are crunchy, creamy, flavor-packed and so delicious!! These can be made without a bread toaster, sandwich maker or an oven.
The basic mayonnaise sandwiches served in some cafes are made without toasting the bread. So if you don’t fancy the crisp toasted bread then you may just make the filling and spread it on the bread slices and serve.
The filling is made by just mixing the fine chopped veggies with mayo and flavouring ingredients.
I have shared a few variations and substitutes for the recipe so you can easily make it for your entire family. This is also a kids’ friendly recipe so it is a family favourite at my home.
These mayonnaise sandwiches are great to serve for a breakfast or snack. If making for a meal then simply make a double decker sandwich.
Mayo sandwich step-by-step photos
1. Mince 1 garlic clove, chop 1 green chili and ¼ of a medium onion (2 tablespoons fine chopped). Add all of these to a mixing bowl. Squeeze 1 tablespoon lemon juice & mix well. Lemon juice removes the pungent smell from garlic and onions. However if your mayo is too sour then skip the lemon juice.
2. Prepare the other veggies of your choice and add them to the bowl. I have used ¼ cup butter lettuce and ¼ cup chopped red capsicum here. You can also use shredded cabbage, carrots, boiled sweet corn etc. You can use about ½ cup in total.
3. Add ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper, ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili flakes, ¼ cup mayo (about 4 tablespoons) and ¼ teaspoon mustard powder. If you do not have mustard you can skip it, but I feel it adds lot of aroma to the filling. Mix all the ingredients. The filling is ready. Taste test and add more of chilli, pepper or mayo etc.
You may add any other sauce like red chilli sauce, mustard sauce or schezwan sauce.
How to make veg mayo sandwich
4. Butter the bread slices and toast on a large griddle until golden and crisp. You can also skip toasting. You can also just butter the bread, then fill the sandwich and toast in sandwich maker.
5. Spread the mixture on a slice of bread.
6. Cover with another slice.
Slice veg mayo sandwich and serve.
Pro tips and substitutes
Mayonnaise is the key ingredient in this recipe. Most store bought mayos are a hit or miss. So choose one carefully. The taste of your sandwich depends on the mayo you choose. If you are a vegetarian then you can choose eggless mayo. If you are a vegan use vegan mayonnaise made with nuts.
However if you do not have any kind of mayo then simply strain your homemade yogurt in a cheese cloth or muslin cloth and use it in the recipe. For more details you may check this recipe of hung curd. The other substitutes for mayo are cream cheese & Greek yogurt.
Bread: In eateries and cafes mayonnaise sandwich is mostly made with white soft bread. Since we don’t eat white bread I have used multi grain bread. Sometimes I also make these with sourdough bread or artisan bread. So use any kind of bread that is available to you.
Veggies: The quickest way to make this sandwich by using chopped onions, grated carrots, deseeded chopped firm tomatoes and any fresh herbs like coriander leaves etc. Preparing these will take just 5 to 7 minutes.
Other veggies like bell peppers, sweet corn, beetroot, lettuce, pumpkin, potatoes, arugula (rockets) & cabbage also go well in a mayo sandwich. But they do take some time for preparing like sweet corn, beetroot & potatoes need to be boiled first.
If using broccoli & pumpkin then grill them and use. So choose the veggies of your choice.
I went the simplest way by using onions, lettuce & red bell peppers since I had only these at home.
Spices & herbs: I use ground black pepper, red chilli flakes and ground mustard (powder). You can use any sauce like mustard sauce, chilli sauce or schezwan sauce for heat.
Toasted vs untoasted bread
This is a personal choice. But these can be made either ways & both taste good. Toasted mayo sandwiches won’t turn soggy quickly. If you are using store bought bread, then with the current situation it is good to toast them.
We prefer the toasted bread to make any sandwich, so I have toasted in a pan. However you can also toast these in a sandwich maker or toast the bread in oven or air fryer.
How to make this in 10 mins.
Firstly toast the buttered bread slices on a pan until golden. While they toast, chop the veggies and make the filling. Once the bread is done, cool them down for 2 to 3 mins and spread the filling. Making 2 servings of these mayo sandwiches just takes 10 mins.
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 to 4 tbsp Mayonnaise (I used eggless mayo)
- Lemon juice as needed
- Pinch salt (mayo is salted, so use if needed)
- ¼ tsp black pepper (crushed)
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds ground or any sauce you like (optional)
veggies of your choice
- 2 tbsps Onions or shallots 2 tbsp
- 1 Green chili (deseeded and chopped optional)
- 2 tbsp carrots (Grated )
- 2 tbsp sweet corn (Boiled)
- ¼ cup bell pepper (capsicum, chopped)
- 2 to 4 tbsps Cabbage or lettuce or coriander leaves as needed fine chopped (optional)
- Butter the bread slices.
- optional – Begin by toasting the buttered bread on a griddle or toaster. You can also skip toasting if you like to save sometime.
- If you are not serving right away toasting them is a good idea, since it prevents the sandwich from turning too soggy.
- Chop onions and mince garlic. Add them to a bowl.
- Squeeze in some lemon juice. Allow this to rest for a while until the veggies are ready. This makes the onions & garlic less pungent.
- Prepare the veggies by chopping finely.
- I have used capsicum and butter lettuce here, you can substitute it with cabbage.
How to make veg mayo sandwich
- Add mayo, red chili flakes, salt, pepper and mustard powder (optional).
- Mix up everything well and taste it. Add more spice if needed.
- Spread on the bread.
- Place another slice and slice to triangles or squares. Serve mayonnaise sandwich.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes