Mayonnaise sandwich recipe – A quick veg mayo sandwich recipe that can be made within 10 minutes. Mayonnaise sandwiches are most commonly found in eateries, cafes & fast food chains. These are made in numerous ways and tagged with different names. In this post I have shared the simplest recipe of mayonnaise sandwich made with vegetables, spices & herbs.
If you are a vegetarian then you can choose eggless mayo, if you are a vegan use vegan mayonnaise. However if you do not have any kind of mayo then simply replace it with cream cheese or greek yogurt (strained yogurt).
These mayonnaise sandwiches are great to serve for a breakfast or snack. If making for a meal then simply make a double decker sandwich.
Tips to make mayonnaise sandwich
Bread: To make mayo sandwich, mostly white bread is used since we do not eat white bread at home, I have made it using multi grain bread. You can use any kind of break you have in hand.
Veggies: Onions, carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, sweet corn, beetroot, lettuce, pumpkin, arugula (rockets) & cabbage go well in a mayo sandwich. Choose any veggies of your choice. If using sweet corn then boil them and use. If using broccoli & pumpkin then grill them and use.
I went the simplest way by using onions, lettuce & red peppers since I had only these.
Toasting: Mayo sandwich can be made without toasting the bread, just mix up the ingredients and spread on the bread. Cut them and serve.
We prefer the toasted bread to make any sandwich, so I have toasted in on a tawa. However you can also toast these in a sandwich maker.
Spices & herbs: I use ground pepper, red chilli flakes and ground mustard (powder). You can use any sauce like chilli sauce or schezwan sauce for heat.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for mayonnaise sandwich
- 4 slices bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 to 4 tbsp Mayonnaise (I used eggless mayo)
- Lemon juice as needed
- Pinch salt (mayo is salted, so use if needed)
- ¼ tsp Pepper (crushed)
- Red chili flakes as desired (optional)
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds ground or any sauce you like (optional)
veggies of your choice
- 2 tbsps Onions or shallots 2 tbsp
- 1 Green chili deseeded and chopped optional
- 2 tbsp carrots Grated
- 2 tbsp sweet corn Boiled
- ¼ cup Capsicum or bell pepper chopped
- 2 to 4 tbsps Cabbage or lettuce or coriander leaves as needed fine chopped (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for mayonnaise sandwich
- Butter the bread slices.
- optional – Begin by toasting the buttered bread on a griddle or toaster. You can also skip toasting if you like to save sometime.
- If you are not serving right away toasting them is a good idea, since it prevents the sandwich from turning too soggy.
- Chop onions and mince garlic. Add them to a bowl.
- Squeeze in some lemon juice. Allow this to rest for a while until the veggies are ready. This makes the onions & garlic less pungent.
- Prepare the veggies by chopping finely.
- I have used capsicum and butter lettuce here, you can substitute it with cabbage.
How to make veg mayo sandwich
- Add mayo, red chili flakes, salt, pepper and mustard powder (optional).
- Mix up everything well and taste it. Add more spice if needed.
- Spread on the bread.
- Place another slice and slice to triangles or squares. Serve mayonnaise sandwich.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Preparation for mayonnaise sandwich recipe
1. Add minced garlic, green chili and onions to a bowl. Squeeze in lemon juice and mix well. This removes the pungent smell from garlic and onions.
2. Meanwhile prepare the veggies and add them to the bowl. I have used butter lettuce and capsicum here. You can also use shredded cabbage, carrots, boiled sweet corn etc.
3. Add crushed pepper, chili flakes and mayo and mustard powder. If you do not have mustard you can skip it, but I feel it adds lot of aroma to the mix. Mix it up. The filling is ready.
Ho to make veg mayo sandwich recipe
4. Butter the bread slices and toast on a tawa. You can also skip toasting. You can also just butter the bread, then fill the sandwich and toast in sandwich maker.
5. Spread the mixture on a slice of bread.
6. Cover with another slice.
Slice veg mayo sandwich and serve.