Make easy Cheesy Corn sandwiches that will be everyone’s favorite! These quick sandwiches are made with bread of choice, sweet corn kernels, veggies, cheese, spices and sandwich spread or chutney (whatever you like). Serve them any time of the day for a breakfast, snack or even for a dinner with some piping hot soup. In this post I share 2 recipes to make cheese corn sandwich. One is with melting cheese & spicy sauce or coriander chutney & the other is a super delicious creamy sandwich with cream cheese.
Kids and adults in every home have different choices. While most kids love the creamy, cheesy and milder sandwiches, grownups will surely love theirs with a punch of flavors, spice and heat. Every time I make the corn sandwiches I am confused as we all have different choices just like any other family. So I end up making both these versions often.
Corn sandwich is a sandwich filled primarily with sweet corn kernels. Other ingredients like grated carrots, onions, coriander leaves, spices & cheese are used for flavoring & taste.
Here is what you need for the corn sandwich
Sweet Corn kernels: You may use the frozen, ready to use corn kernels or start with a corn on the cob. For convenience I love my frozen corn. If you prefer the corn on the cob, either grill, air fry or boil the cob until the kernels turn tender. Later cool them completely.
The frozen corn I use are super tender and just require 1 to 2 mins of heating on the stovetop. However there are many kinds of frozen corn, some require cooking for a little longer too. You can also microwave these as per the instructions on the pack. Cool them.
Cheese: You may use any melting cheese like Mozzarella, Gouda or Havarti, whatever you like. I used mozzarella slices. You can use any ball, slices or grated. If you are making the cream cheese corn sandwiches then you will use only softened cream cheese.
Veggies & herbs: We love grated carrots, onions, tomatoes and coriander leaves. On occasions I simply wilt some baby spinach in the same pan I cook the frozen corn. Evaporate any excess moisture left. You can also skip all the veggies and make corn sandwich with just corn kernels, grated mozzarella, crushed black pepper and a few herbs.
Here is a picture of the same I made another time. Just fill your sandwiches with this and grill them on a toaster, pan or a griddle (tawa).
Spread: I generally skip this for cream cheese corn sandwiches. But otherwise prefer to use a spread, chutney or sauce. If you don’t have use whatever you have, ketchup, mayo, cheese spread etc. I use the coriander chutney here. You may use green chutney, mint chutney or schezwan chutney or red garlic chutney.
How to Make Cheese Corn Sandwich (Stepwise Photos)
Prepare the filling
Boil the half cup corn kernels until tender. Cool them.
Prepare the other veggies. You will need 1/4 cup grated carrot, 2 tbsps chopped onions, 4 tbsps chopped tomatoes, 1 green chilli and 2 tbsps coriander leaves.
Add all the veggies to the corn. Also add half teaspoon each of chaat masala and cumin powder.
Mix and taste test. Avoid adding salt as cheese is salted.
Make the sandwich
Butter bread slices.
Spread Green chutney or mayo or any other chutney of choice on both the slices.
Place a cheese slice. If you are using grated cheese, just mix that with the prepared corn kernels.
Spread the veggies and corn mixture.
Place another slice of cheese if you want.
Cover the sandwich and butter it on top. Drizzle half tsp butter on your toaster or pan.
When it is hot, place the corn sandwich and toast until crisp. If using a pan, when the bottom becomes crisp, gently turn it to the other side with a spatula. Press down with the spatula. Remove once golden and the cheese melts.
Slice the corn sandwiches before serving.
Corn Sandwich with Cream Cheese
If you don’t have cream cheese, you may use Hung Curd, but make sure there is no moisture all at in your hung curd. Keep the cream cheese out of the fridge for sometime so it softens. For the fillinf, we need 6 tablespoons cream cheese, ½ to ¾ cup sweet corn, ¼ tsp mustard powder, ¼ tsp black pepper and 2 tbsps coriander leaves. Add all these to a bowl.
Mix everything well and taste test. If you want you may also add some red chilli flakes for heat. If using hung curd add salt to taste.
Add ½ to ¾ cup boiled sweet corn.
Spread that over the bread and butter the bread on the top. Drizzle some butter on the toaster or griddle.
Toast the cheese corn sandwich until crisp and golden.
These sandwiches keep good for a few hours (2 to 3 hours, so can be carried to work or school for a mid morning snack).
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 6 slices bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Butter (softened)
- ½ cup cheese grated or 3 to 6 cheese slices or paneer
- ½ cup sweet corn kernels (frozen or fresh from cob)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper as needed
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon chaat masala (½ tsp roasted teaspoon cumin powder)
- ¼ cup green chutney or coriander chutney or schezwan sauce or mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves fine chopped
- ½ carrot , small grated (optional)
- 2 tablespoons onions chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chilies , chopped (optional, skip for kids)
- Prepare the corn kernels. If using corn on the cob, boil, grill or bake until tender. I use the frozen corn so I cook for 1 to 2 mins in a pan until cooked completely. Turn off and cool.
- To the cooled corn, add grated carrots, onions, tomatoes & green chilies. All these are optional and you may skip.
- Add black pepper, chaat masala and cumin powder. Mix well. Taste test and adjust the spices if you want more. Avoid adding salt.
- Butter your bread on the inner side and spread chutney or mayo or any spread of your choice.
- Place the cheese slice over the bread. [If using grated cheese, simply mix that with the veggie corn kernels we prepared earlier.]
- Spread the corn filling on the prepared bread slice. Smear some chutney or spread on the other bread slice too. Cover the sandwich with the chutney side in. Spread little butter on the outside too.
- Heat a toaster or a pan and drizzle little softened butter. Place the corn sandwich and toast it till golden.
- If making on a pan, press down the sandwich with a spatula, toast on a low heat until the bread becomes crisp on one side. Carefully turn it to the other side and toast until the cheese begins to melt.
- Transfer the corn sandwich to a wooden board and cut before serving.
- If you want you may wilt some baby spinach in the same pan you boil the corn kernels. Evaporate any excess moisture left.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Corn Sandwich recipe first published in February 2015. Updated and republished in July 2022.
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes