Cheese Sandwich in 3 easy ways! Crisp, savory, buttery, toasted bread with a warm, gooey, melted cheesy filling are the essentials of a perfect grilled cheese sandwich. It is a true comfort food that takes us back to those fond childhood memories of having enjoyed it with friends and family. Once you’ve had a really delicious cheese sandwich that you have made in your own kitchen, it is something you will return to again and again because it’s super simple to make yet tastes amazingly delicious.
About Cheese Sandwich
Cheese sandwich is a simple & basic sandwich made by placing cheese in between 2 buttered slices of bread. These sandwiches are either grilled or toasted until the cheese melts. There are so many varieties of grilled cheese made across the world with varying ingredients.
This post shows you how to make a simple cheese sandwich just under 10 minutes with pantry staples. Customize it easily to your taste with my tried and tested tips and tricks.
Making a grilled cheese sandwich at home gives you the freedom to create it according to your liking. By altering the ingredients just slightly you will end up with something that is mild and creamy, sharp and pungent, or something in between. With the addition of spices, herbs, and aromatics, you can customize it to satisfy your craving.
The key to making a truly phenomenal grilled cheese sandwich is as much about the technique as it is about the ingredients. With that in mind, you can explore a variety of breads and fillings.
Different kinds of cheese that can be used
While some cheeses melt better than others for that great cheesy pull, don’t rule out sharper varieties for what they bring to the table. In the end, the goal should be to make something that pleases your palette and fills you up in ways that go far beyond simply satisfying your hunger.
There are a great many options when it comes to selecting cheese for your sandwich. For the perfect cheese that yields strands that pull when you bite into it, it is important to go for something like Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or Muenster.
These mild varieties have exceptional melting properties that provide creaminess that define a traditional grilled cheese sandwich.
With so many cheeses available at most grocery stores these days, it is a fine time to get a bit creative. You can opt for something like Swiss or Gruyere if you prefer those nuttier flavor profiles. Provolone can deliver sharpness that some may love while a mild to medium cheddar offers melting qualities with a bit of assertive flavor.
Ingredients like vegetables, cooked meat, fried eggs, scrambled eggs and even mayonnaise are used in some variations.
For more variations you may check
Cheese veg sandwich
Grilled cheese omelet sandwich
Cheese corn sandwich
Grilled cheese tomato sandwich
Capsicum cheese toast sandwich
Cheese chocolate sandwich
Cheese mushroom sandwich
Methods to grill Cheese Sandwich
There are so many theories on making the best grilled cheese sandwich. This recipe offers 3 options that work well. Depending on if you are making just one for yourself or several for a family or group of friends, one may work better for you. Here are the methods:
- On a griddle or frying pan- best for making one or two sandwiches at a time
- In the oven- best when cooking for a crowd
- In a sandwich toaster, when to want to be hands-free and let the toaster do the job for you.
How to Make Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Stepwise Photos)
1. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons butter to a hot pan and melt it. Spread it with a spatula when it melts. Place the bread slices over the melted butter. You can also smear the softened butter over the slices. If your butter isn’t soft, then you can also add it to the hot pan. You can use as much butter as you like.
2. Toast the bread slices until golden on one side of both the slices.
3. Flip one of them and place 2 cheese slices or grated cheese on the hot toasted side. Sprinkle the flavorings you prefer like black pepper, red chili flakes and oregano. Place the golden toasted side over the cheese. Placing the cheese over the toasted hot bread helps the cheese to melt fast.
4. Add some more butter to the pan. Flip with a spatula and toast on both the sides on a very low heat until the cheese melts off. Take care not to burn. Halve the grilled sandwich and serve hot or warm.
Cheese sandwich is ready to enjoy.
What is in a cheese sandwich?
A grilled cheese sandwich is, at its core, little more than bread, cheese, and butter. Take into account, however, the many variations of each of those ingredients. White bread, wheat, sourdough or rye will all work nicely, as do a wide array of cheeses. Salted or unsalted butter for toasting.
Which cheese is best for sandwiches?
With so many options out there for the perfect grilled cheese, it really boils down to having the cheese that you like best. But the thing that cannot be wavered on is freshness. While pre-sliced or grated cheese will work, I recommend starting with a block and either slicing or shredding as you need it. This way you are sure to have the ultimate in flavor and texture which will give you the best sandwich, without a doubt.
How do you spice up a cheese sandwich?
There are several ways to spice up your grilled cheese so that you can make it your own. For a touch of heat you can add crushed red pepper. For something a bit more heat-forward, try a few pickled jalapenos.
Fresh herbs work really well here. Basil with mozzarella is a natural winning combination, but don’t forget about other herbs like thyme which is great with cheddar. Fresh dill and Havarti or oregano with provolone are also nice options.
Once you have settled on the grilled cheese of your dreams, it is time to figure out what you will serve alongside it. The first thing that comes to mind is the classic tomato soup which delivers acidity that rounds out the meal perfectly.
With that said, other soups should not be overlooked. Lentil or butternut squash would make a perfect lunch or light dinner with a grilled cheese, as well.
Adding something like a green salad to the meal guarantees that you are getting something nutritionally sound, making this a complete.
Perhaps the best thing to serve alongside any grilled cheese sandwich is pickled vegetables. Their crunch and bright flavor is the perfect accompaniment to the grilled cheese, offering great balance to the taste and texture of the melted cheese that defines it.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread of your choice
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (or ½ to ¾ cup grated cheese or any other)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter as needed
- ½ teaspoon oregano or any Italian herbs (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chili flakes (Red or green chilies (skip for kids))
- ½ teaspoon black pepper crushed
Make Grilled Cheese on a griddle or pan
- Butter each bread slice on both the sides. Heat a pan and place 2 buttered bread slices on it.
- Grill until golden. Flip the slice and place /spread the cheese on the hot bread. Sprinkle chili flakes & herbs, if you want.
- Cover the bread with another slice with the hotter side over the cheese.
- On a low to medium heat , grill it until golden and the cheese begin to melt. Halve the sandwiches and serve.
Make Cheese Sandwich in a Oven or Sandwich toaster
- Start with your oven set to 450 F or 220 C. Or If using a sandwich toaster, preheat it.
- Generously butter your bread and assemble your sandwiches, by placing the buttered side down on a baking sheet or a tray.
- Place the cheese slices and add your spices or herbs of choice, if you want to. Cover with another bread slice, with the buttered side on top.
- Place tray on the middle rack of your oven and toast until the bread begins to turn golden brown, about 3 to 5 mins. If you are using a OTG, it just takes about 3 to 4 mins.
- Flip once with a wooden spatula and continue to grill until the cheese is visibly melted and your sandwich has developed an even, light brown color. This takes another 3 to 5 mins depending on your bread and oven.
- Remove & let cool down on a wired rack before you cut, and enjoy hot!
In the Air fryer
- Place the assembled sandwiches in the air fryer and air fry at 350F or 180 C for 5 mins. Do not air fry for too long, the edges turn hard and too crisp.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes