Cheese sandwich recipe – Cheese sandwich is a simple and basic sandwiches made by placing cheese in between 2 buttered slices of bread. These are either grilled or toasted. There are so many varieties of cheese sandwiches made across the world with varying ingredients. This post shows you how to make a simple cheese sandwich just under 10 minutes with basic ingredients.
These can also be served as finger sandwiches for tea parties or as appetizers for dinner party.
Tips to make Cheese sandwich
Grilling or toasting: These can be toasted on a griddle, grill pan or tawa if you do not have a sandwich toaster or a griller. If making many sandwiches, then a oven simplifies the task. Just preheat the oven to 220 C and grill them on a wired rack for 6 to 7 minutes until golden & crisp.
Bread: You can choose any kind of bread that you like. I used brown bread here.
Cheese: You can use one or more kinds of cheese. Usually mozzarella & cheddar go well. You can also use 4 cheese if you like the taste and flavor. I have used cheddar cheese.
I always use the block cheese as I found mostly grated & sliced cheese packs have preservatives. In this post I have used block mozzarella cheese. I let it come to room temperature first and then sliced it.
Butter: A generous amount of butter can be smeared over the bread slices to get a golden crust. I used unsalted butter here.
Spices: Red chilli flakes & pepper are the 2 spices I have used here. However you can also skip them if you do not like them.
Herbs: Flavor up your cheese sandwiches with your favorite herbs. Mixed Italian herbs, oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil are some of the herbs you can try with.
Ingredients like vegetables, cooked meat, fried eggs, scrambled eggs and even mayonnaise are used in some variations.
For more variations you may check
cheese veg sandwich
Grilled cheese omelet sandwich
Cheese corn sandwich
Grilled cheese tomato sandwich
Capsicum cheese toast sandwich
Cheese chocolate sandwich
Cream cheese corn sandwich
Cheese mushroom sandwich
Grilled cheese sandwich recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread (prefer whole grain)
- 2 to 4 slices mozzarella cheese (or ½ to ¾ cup grated cheese)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter as needed
- ½ tsp oregano or any Italian herbs
- ½ to 1 tsp chili flakes (Red or green chilies (skip for kids))
- ½ to 1 tsp pepper crushed
How to make the recipe
Making cheese sandwich on tawa / griddle
- Butter each bread slice on both the sides.
- Heat a pan and place 2 buttered bread slices on it.
- Grill until golden. Flip the slice and place the cheese on the hot bread. Sprinkle chilies & herbs.
- Cover the bread with another slice with the hotter side over the cheese.
- On a low to medium heat , grill it until golden and the cheese begin to melt.
- Halve the sandwiches and serve.
Making grilled cheese sandwich in a toaster, griller or oven.
- Smear softened butter on one side of the bread. Place the cheese on the other side.
- Add other ingredients. Cover with the other bread slice (buttered side out)
- Toast in a sandwich toaster or oven.
- If using a oven, grill them in a preheated oven at 220 to 230 C on a wired rack for best results. It takes about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Serve cheese sandwich hot or warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make grilled cheese sandwich recipe
1. Add butter to a hot pan and place the bread slices. You can also smear the softened butter over the slices. If your butter isn’t soft, then you can also add it to the hot pan.
2. Toast until golden on one side of both the slices.
3. Flip one of them and place a cheese slice or grated cheese. Sprinkle the flavorings you desire like pepper, red chili flakes and oregano. Place the golden side over the cheese.
Placing the cheese over the toasted hot bread helps the cheese to melt fast.
4. Add some butter to the pan. flip and toast on both the sides on a medium heat until the cheese melts off.
5. Take care not to burn. Halve the grilled sandwich and serve hot or warm.
Cheese sandwich is ready to enjoy.