Veg tehri recipe – Tehri, tehari or tahari is a one pot dish originated from the Awadhi cuisine. It is mildly spicy, delicious & flavorful. It is most commonly eaten for a meal in North India. This is a variation of the Veg pulao recipe, but includes spice powders too.
Tehari can be made with vegetables or meat. This recipe of veg tehri uses mix vegetables like potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, beans and peas. Potatoes and cauliflower lend a unique aroma & taste to this dish. So don’t skip them.
Making veg tehri doesn’t take much time. So you can enjoy it often for a meal. It also goes well in the lunch box. It can be served with a raita and papads. This can be also be made in a pot if you don’t have a pressure cooker.
How to make vegetable tehari
1. Wash rice a few times. Drain the water. Soak for 30 minutes and drain it to a colander. Set this aside.
2. While the rice soaks, you can wash & cube the veggies. Do not chop them too small.
3. Heat a pressure cooker or pot with oil. Add bay leaf, cumin, cardamoms, cinnamon and cloves.
4. Allow the cumin to splutter. Then add chili & onions. Fry them until golden to light brown.
5. Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute for a minute.
6. Regulate the flame to low. Add all the spice powders – garam masala, jeera powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt.
7. Saute just for a minute. Do not burn this.
8. Add all the veggies – tomatoes, potatoes, beans, cauliflower, carrots and peas.
9. Fry them on a medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
10. Drain the rice completely and add it. Fry stirring gently for 2 minutes. Do not over stir, the rice can break.
11. Pour water. I have used aged basmati rice so I used 1.5 cups water for 1 cup rice. Mix and check the salt. Bring the water to a rapid boil on a slightly high flame.
12. Regulate the stove flame to medium. If cooking in a pot – Cook covered until the rice is done.
13. If cooking in a cooker, cover and cook for 1 whistle. (Medium flame).
14. When the pressure goes down, open the lid.
15. Add coriander leaves. Fluff up the rice gently with a fork mixing the leaves. Keep covered for another 10 minutes.
Serve veg tehri with raita & papad.
Veg tehri recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup basmati rice (I used aged rice)
- 2 tbsps oil
- 1 onion (sliced or chopped)
- 2 potatoes (small to medium) (cubed)
- 1 tomato (small to medium)(cubed)
- ½ cup cauliflower (gobi florets)
- 6 beans (cut to 2 inch long pieces)
- 1 carrot (small one, cubed)
- ¼ cup green peas (matar)
- ½ tsp salt (use as needed)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili (slit, optional skip for kids)
- 2 tbsps coriander leaves (daniya patta)
- 1½ cups water (adjust if needed)
Dry spices to make tehri
- 1 bay leaf (tej patta)
- ½ tsp cumin (jeera)
- 4 cloves (laung)
- 2 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 4 green cardamoms (elaichi)
Spice powders to make veg tehri
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (daniya powder)
- ½ tsp cumin powder (roasted jeera powder)
- ½ tsp garam masala
How to make veg tehri
- Wash rice and soak it for about 30 mins. Later drain it and set aside.
- While the rice soaks, wash and cube the vegetables.
- Heat oil in a pot or cooker.
- Add cumin, bay leaf, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon.
- When the cumin begins to splutter. add onions and chili. Fry until they turn golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry just for a min.
- Lower the flame. Add coriander powder, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, jeera powder and salt.
- Fry these just for a minute.
- Add all the vegetables including tomatoes.
- Fry all these for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the drained rice and mix gently.
- On a slightly high flame fry the rice for 2 mins. Occasionally stir. Do not over do else the rice will break.
- Pour water and mix well. Taste the water and add more salt if needed.
- Bring the water to a boil on a high flame. Reduce the flame to medium. Cook covered until the rice is done completely.
- If using a cooker, cover the lid and cook for 1 whistle. The flame has to be medium.
- When the pressure goes off, open the lid.
- Add chopped coriander leaves. Gently fluff up the rice and mix the coriander leaves.
- Keep covered for 5 mins. Serve veg tehri with raita and papad.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes