|Hot vegetable chutney|
An Andhra meal is not complete without a Hot Vegetable Chutney. Hot and tasty chutney can be prepared with almost any vegetable. Some of the common chutneys that are prepared are Beerakaya pachadi, vankaya tomato pachadi, Dosakaya mukkala pachadi, Dondakaya pachadi. Today’s recipe is not a common one like the others. Finely chopped Vegetables like carrot , beetroot, cucumber, raddish, & onions are used raw in a roasted and ground eggplant mix. You can use raw veggies of your choice. We like to use carrots & onions. This chutney tastes good with roti ,chapathi, paratha or plain rice.
During my trip to India I could not carry my dslr since I had to travel alone with both my kids. So I had to shoot with a point and shoot camera while I was in India. I will be posting some recipes which my mom prepared during my visit. The pics for few more posts may not be good. Please bear with the bad photography and pics.
Serves 3 to 4
3 to 4 tender small egg plants / Brinjals
4 to 6 green chilies slit (adjust to suit your taste)
½ tsp cumin
1 tbsp Coriander leaves chopped
Fistful of finely chopped carrots (or veggies of your choice)
Fistful of finely chopped raw onions
1 tbsp Lemon juice or tamarind pulp (adjust)
1. Wash and pierce eggplants with knife randomly to prevent bursting while roasting them
2. Fry the chilies in 1 tsp oil. set aside to cool
3. Fry Eggplants in 2 tsps oil till they are completely cooked from inside. Set aside to cool and peel the skin
4. Add the chilies, egg plants , salt & cumin to a grinding jar and grind or pulse to get the desired texture. Transfer it to a bowl
5. Add the raw veggies, coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix well and serve.
Needs no seasoning.