Instant rava uttapam recipe – Instant uttapam is a quick breakfast recipe made with semolina, spices & veggies. These turn out delicious & just take about 20 mins to make. These suji uttapam are great to have even for dinner with some chutney or podi.
Traditionally uttapam were made with leftover idli & dosa batter that is usually sour. It is a bit of work to make the traditional ones which needs to plan ahead. Then soak, blend & ferment the batter.
These instant rava uttapams are just a variation of the traditional dish which can be made without grinding the batter and fermenting.
For the healthier versions, I usually make Oats uthappam, millet uttapam and wheat flour uttapam for breakfast. This rava uttapam is something I have grown up eating.
My mom would make these whenever we preferred to have light dinner. They turn out very tasty with a unique aroma that comes from curd or buttermilk.
These can be made for breakfast, brunch, lunch or anytime you wish to make something quick.
Rava is nothing but fine semolina or suji which is used to make halwa. This recipe also works with chiroti rava (extra fine suji) which is used to make chiroti.
I have used just onions and bell peppers here as I was running short of veggies. Chopped tomatoes, grated carrots, lots of coriander leaves go well in this rava uttapam.
Sometimes I also add dill leaves. If you like the flavor you can just add about a tbsp of the fine chopped leaves.
Instant rava uttapam
Instant rava uttapam recipe | Suji uttapam | Breakfast recipes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup semolina or rava or suji
- ½ to ¾ cup water or (½ + 2 to 3 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp curd or yogurt or dahi
- salt as needed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small tomato chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsps capsicum chopped (optional)
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsps carrot grated (optional)
- 2 to 3 tsps oil or butter
How to make the recipe
Preparation for instant rava uttapam
- Soak rava in half cup water. Set this aside for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile chop the veggies and season the pan or tawa with oil. Wipe off excess with a kitchen tissue.
- Add curd, salt and 2 tbsps water to the soaked rava.
- Mix the batter. It must be not too thin or too thick. If needed add 1 tbsp more water to bring it to a consistency.
Making rava uttapam
- Heat the pan on a medium high flame.
- When the pan is hot, pour half of the batter and spread a bit gently.
- Sprinkle the veggies and press with a spatula.
- Add oil around the edges and cook until done on a medium heat.
- When you see the edges of the rava uttapam leaving the pan, then flip it.
- Cook until the veggies are partially done. Flip back and cook until the rava uttapam turns lightly Crisp.
- Serve hot or warm with chutney or alone.
Rava uttapam recipe originally published in Aug, 2016. Republished in June 2019.
Preparation for rava uttapam
1. Add half cup rava / suji to a mixing bowl.
2. Add half cup water.
3. Mix it well. Set this aside for 10 mins.
4. Meanwhile chop the veggies like onions, chilies, tomatoes, bell pepper. You can also use grated carrot & coriander leaves.
5. Add 2 tbsp yogurt.
6. Salt as needed.
7. Add 2 tbsp more water. I used about 3 tbsps.
8. The batter should be neither thin or too thick, but must be of spreading consistency. Set this aside.
How to make suji uttapam
9. Grease or season your tawa well with few drops of oil. Rub with a sliced onion or kitchen tissue. I season my cast iron pan after every wash and wipe off the excess oil before storing it. I grease it again before use.
10. When the pan turns hot, pour half of the prepared batter.
11. Spread it gently only a little.
12. Immediately add cut veggies.
13. Press down with a wooden spatula. If you do not do this, veggies will come out when you flip it.
14. Add oil or ghee and cook on a medium heat.
15. After a while you will see the edges leave the pan, gently lift it with a spatula and flip it.
16. Cook on both the sides till fully done.
Serve rava uttapam hot or warm.