Jeera aloo recipe – Quick, simple, delicious potatoes sauteed in mild spices. Making jeera aloo is one of the easiest that even a beginner can try. It is a side dish that can be served with Rice Dal, roti, phulka or Poori. I often make Jeera aloo for the lunch box as there is no preparation work involved.
Sometimes I also use it as a filling in the Kathi rolls and sandwiches along with some julienned veggies. Jeera aloo is a dry dish, so it is good to serve along with a gravy, dal or atleast a raita.
Jeera aloo recipe
Jeera aloo recipe | How to make jeera aloo fry
Quick jeera aloo is a mildly spiced dish made of boiled potatoes. It is served as a side dish with rice-dal, puri or roti.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for jeera aloo
- 4 medium potatoes or aloo
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped or adrak (optional)
- 1 green chilli chopped or hari mirch
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida or hing
- ¼ tsp mango powder or amchur (or lemon juice)
- ¼ to ½ tsp salt or namak as needed
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves or kasuri methi (optional)
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 to 3 tbsp coriander leaves or daniya patta
spices for jeera aloo
- 1¼ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¾ to 1 tsp red chilli powder or lal mirch powder
- ¾ tsp cumin powder or jeera powder
- 1¼ tsp coriander powder or daniya powder
How to make the recipe
Preparation for jeera aloo recipe
Wash and boil potatoes just until cooked. They should not be mushy. You can boil them in a pot or cooker with enough water covering them.
Cool them and peel off the skin.
Cube them to desired sizes. Set aside.
How to make jeera aloo
Heat a pan with oil and ghee. Add jeera and allow them to splutter.
Next saute ginger and green chilies for a minute.
Reduce the flame to low. Then add in hing, turmeric, chili powder, jeera powder, daniya powder, salt and amchur.
Also add in kasuri methi. Saute till fragrant. This takes just a minute.
Pour 3 tbsp water and combine well. Very soon the mixture thickens.
Add in the boiled aloo. Toss them gently and cover the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 mins on a low heat.
Sprinkle coriander leaves. Add more salt if needed.
Serve jeera aloo with rice-dal, poori, roti or chapati.
You can use more spice powders to make the dish spicy. It was medium spicy and not hot.
Preparation – jeera aloo recipe
1. Wash potatoes thoroughly. Boil them just until cooked and not mushy. You can cook in a pressure cooker on a medium flame for 1 to 2 whistles. I cook in a pot with a partially covered lid. To check if they are cooked, prick with a fork. If still uncooked then you will feel the hardness.
2. Cool them and remove the skin. Cube them to desired sizes.
How to make jeera aloo
3. Next add ghee or oil to the hot pan. Add cumin and fry until they smell good.
4. Add chili and ginger. If you have kids at home, skip the chili. Ginger is also optional but adds flavor.
5. Fry them for a minute. Then add hing.
6. Reduce the flame to low. Add chili powder.
7. Then next goes in the cumin powder.
8. After that add in coriander powder as well.
9. Sprinkle amchur. You can skip this and add lemon juice later.
10. Add in the salt and kasuri methi too.
11. Mix and fry for a 30 seconds to 1 minute. Do not burn.
12. Quickly pour 3 tbsp water and mix.
13. Soon the the spice powder blends well with water and thickens.
Frying jeera aloo
14. Next add in the potatoes and toss them gently. Do not over mix otherwise they may turn mushy.
15. Cover and cook on the lowest flame. This helps jeera aloo to absorb the flavors.
16. Finally sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serve jeera aloo as a side.