Amla juice recipe – learn how to make amla juice at home. Amla derived from the sanskrit word amalika, is known as Indian Gooseberry. It is one of the highly revered fruits in Ayurveda. High in antioxidants and vitamin C. It is considered as one of the immunity boosters and works well even in kids. According to ayurveda, it is Tridoshic, meaning it can balance all the three doshas in the body. It is known as amla in hindi, nellikai in kannada and tamil, usirikaya in telugu.
Amla has a high cooling effect, using it with honey is said to balance it. We all know that honey is a natural sweetener with body warming properties and is said to dispel phlegm and toxins from our body.
Many kinds of honey are available in the market today, of which Manuka honey is well thought out to be the best one in terms of health benefits.
The quality of this honey is decided based on the UM Factor (unique manuka factor). It is said to possess natural healing qualities and is used in place of antibiotics to combat infections in the body and to deal with stomach related ailments.
I have tried using this manuka honey in many ways, with ginger juice, lemon juice, and orange juice. This time for this amla juice.
During the winters, markets are flooded with fresh amla and it is the time to consume amla juice as well.
Care must be taken by those who don’t tolerate high vitamin C foods or sour foods. It is not suitable to those suffering from reflux, acidity and bloating. High dose of vitamin C in amla juice, may aggravate the symptoms.
Amla juice can be made in large quantity, refrigerated and used whenever needed. But there is an amount of oxidation that happens after preparing it. So it is by far best to prepare and consume immediately and fresh. It can also be mixed with buttermilk or other fruit juices and consumed. It can as well be added to smoothies like banana smoothie.
Tips to choose amla for making amla juice
1. Always choose fresh looking, juicy amla with no blemishes.
2. It is a good idea to buy amla from fresh or wet markets instead of buying from frozen or cold storage sections of the super market.
3. Always soak amla in salted water for a while to remove any unwanted residue before using.
find below recipe of amla juice
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 amla / Indian gooseberry (cut to small pieces)
- 1 ½ cups water filtered
- 1 Pinch pepper , crushed
- 2 tbsp Honey / Manuka honey or any sweetner
- 1 pinch salt
How to make the recipe
- Blend chopped amla with water. Filter and discard the pulp. The pulp turns taste less and is good to discard.
- Add pepper powder and manuka honey, stir well. Amla juice is ready to drink. It can even be mixed with natural Indian buttermilk.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.